Based in Melbourne, Steve co-leads the Asia Pacific Work Health and Safety team which helps clients manage risk in the workplace proactively, and provides legal advice in the event of incidents or regulatory investigation.
Steve brings a common sense, calm and commercial approach, helping his clients repond to workplace crises in a methodical and strutured way.
He regularly presents to boards and executives, industry forum groups and management committees on emerging issues affecting workplace regulations.
Systems development Steve leads the way in developing bespoke, strategically alligned contractor engagement and management systems.
WHS litigation Steve is frequently involved in the defence of WorkSafe and WorkCover prosecutions arising from serious workplace incidents. This includes providing prompt and practical advice on steps to take immediately following an incident, as well as developing strategies for the efficient management of ongoing regulatory investigations.
Steve and his team are recognised by Doyles Guide as a leading individual and leading safety legal practice.
Other Safety Laws Steve and his team are recognised experts in emerging areas of ancillary safety litigation, including rail safety and road transport safety laws. They work with clients to assist them to understand these complex regulatory regimes, and develop compliance systems to manage their obligations under them.
Steve particularly enjoys working with clients to develop proactive and practical health and safety compliance strategies. He has recently:
- developed and implemented effective contractor management systems for the construction of the Regional Rail Link
- advised Australia’s largest logistics business on compliance with heavy-vehicle safety laws
- acted for a client responding to a coronial inquest and WHS prosecution following a multiple fatality at its workplace
- advised board members and executive officers on their personal compliance obligations and assisted in the development of work health and safety improvement strategies for the businesses they lead
- assisted in the development of a comprehensive safety governance framework to protect the Board and executives of a listed company