Siân has experience in cases spanning the range of employment and discrimination law, including whistleblowing, redundancy, TUPE, unfair dismissal and wage related claims. Siân has earned praise for her conscientious, professional and insightful approach. Clients are particularly impressed with her commercial acumen and sensible approach to litigation. Siân has been described as "extremely impressive" with a "fantastic work ethic".
Siân has particular experience advising on complex discrimination claims, including disability, pregnancy and maternity, race and sexual harassment issues. Siân has extensive advocacy experience in the Employment Tribunals as well as in County Court and High Court litigation and arbitral proceedings. Siân has acted as an independent investigator hearing grievance and disciplinary matters for a variety of organisations.
Siân also has a significant data protection practice, both within an employment context and wider general privacy issues.
Siân's experience includes advising:
- a number of clients on the implementation of the GDPR in the UK and across Europe
- various organisations on responding to data subject access requests in the context of actual or threatened litigation
- a recruitment agency on the defence of claims for victimisation related to sexual harassment allegations in the Employment Tribunal*
- claimant employees in a class action against Betfred in Lawless and ors v Done Brothers t/a Betfred, for unlawfully attempting to unilaterally change the terms and conditions of hundreds of employees in its betting shops following its acquisition of Tote bookmakers*
- the appellant in Nyathi v Secretary of State UKEAT/0465/17/JOJ which considered the scope of the employment tribunal's duty to make reasonable adjustments for litigants in person with disabilities*
*Experience gained prior to Herbert Smith Freehills