John is an Of Counsel in the firm's corporate practice with a focus on the infrastructure sector.
John advises on a range of infrastructure projects with a particular focus on the rail industry. He has over 12 years' experience advising clients on the development of railways, access and operational issues, the procurement of rolling stock, infrastructure and rolling stock maintenance interface arrangements and concession and franchise issues.
His rail sector knowledge and expertise was recognised in the Chambers Legal Directory 2017, where he was listed as a rated individual and "very straightforward and collaborative" in his approach. His experience was also mentioned in the Legal 500 Directory 2016.
John is qualified as a solicitor in England and Wales, and New Zealand.
Experience & expertise
- a consortium on its bid to acquire the UK Government's 40% interest in Eurostar, an international passenger train operator
- High` Speed Two (HS2) Limited on the procurement of the infrastructure, rail systems and rolling stock for phase 1 of the HS2 railway
- HS1 Limited in connection with various operational and maintenance matters including its concession with the Secretary of State for Transport, passenger/freight access issues, and interface arrangements with Network Rail
- an infrastructure fund on its bid for Freightliner Group, an international freight and logistics operator, which operates in the UK, Australia and Europe
- a Japanese trading house on the acquisition of an interest in the Nacala rail and port project in Mozambique, as part of a mining project in Mozambique
- London Underground on the major renegotiation and variation of the Power Services PFI Contract with Powerlink and in relation to its Public Private Partnership contracts with the three Infracos for the operation and maintenance of London Underground's core infrastructure
- Stagecoach on various bids for passenger rail franchises and on the first "deep alliance" between a franchise operator and Network Rail aimed at improving efficiency and delivering better rail services and its subsequent restructuring
- Transport for London on the redevelopment and extension of the East London Line and the establishment of London Overground including the procurement of new rolling stock and related train maintenance facilities
- Transport for London on the Northern Line Extension to the site of Battersea Power Station
- Ministry of Defence on its Materiel Strategy project, the proposed restructuring of Defence Equipment & Support, including transfer to a private sector partner