Andrew is highly regarded for his expertise across a broad range of large and complex finance transactions, including debt capital markets, corporate finance, acquisition finance, property finance and derivatives transactions.
Andrew has worked in Melbourne and New York, counselling leading international banks and corporations in a wide range of bank debt, debt capital markets and derivatives transactions in the areas of debt and equity securities and derivatives. He specialises in issues relating to Australian, American, European, Asian and global capital markets, as well as a full range of derivatives and corporate financing. He gained valuable commercial experience on secondment at the in-house treasury operation of Coles Myer Ltd.
Andrew’s expertise has been recognised by a large number of domestic and international publications. Most recently, Andrew was recognised in Best Lawyers 2018 as Lawyer of the Year for Banking and Finance (Melbourne). Andrew is also listed in Best Lawyers’ 2018 for Banking and Finance Law, Asset Finance Law, Debt Capital Markets Law and Structured Finance Law.
Major transactions with which Andrew has been involved include:
- advising borrowers and banks on numerous syndicated, club and bilateral facilities, including for Tabcorp, Visy Group, Melbourne Airport, North Queensland Airports, Santos, Jemena, Treasury Wine Estates, Growthpoint, Crown, Incitec Pivot, Amcor, Rip Curl, Cotton On and Alumina
- acting for issuers or arrangers on numerous Australian MTN programmes, including for BHP Billiton, ING Bank, QBE, ME Bank, Genworth, Heritage Bank, Santos, Jemena, Victorian Power Networks, The University of Melbourne, Wells Fargo, Hyundai Capital Services, Banco Santander, Sumitomo Mitsui, AIG and Treasury Corporation of Victoria
- acting for issuers or arrangers on numerous EMTN programmes, including for BHP Billiton, Melbourne Airport, Victorian Power Networks, South Australian Power Networks, ING Bank, Barclays Bank, Boral, National Grid, QBE, Jemena and Treasury Corporation of Victoria
- acting for issuers and noteholders on numerous US Private Placements and Rule 144A transactions, including for Boral, BHP Billiton, Investa, Growthpoint, The University of Melbourne, SCA Property Group, ACE Property Finance, Toll, Worley Parsons, Visy Group, Orica and Caltex
- advising borrowers and banks on numerous property development financings, including for Country Garden Australia, 3L Alliances, Trawalla’s Parliament Square Hobart development, Grocon’s Gold Coast Commonwealth Games village development, Sheraton Hotel Melbourne, South Wharf and student accomodation developments
Andrew holds Bachelor degrees in Economics and Laws from Monash University. He also completed a Master of Laws degree at the University of Melbourne. He speaks frequently at industry events and has lectured at the University of Melbourne. He is admitted to practise in the Supreme Court of Victoria and New South Wales.