Sam has extensive experience in the growing pensions buy out field and in the associated areas of benefit design and liability management, as well as on the pensions aspects of corporate activity. A member of our pensions litigation group, Sam also has particular expertise advising both claimants and defendants on High Court disputes and declaratory proceedings and on matters before the Pensions Ombudsman. Sam is listed in Chambers as one to watch in her field.
She has advised:
- Swiss Re in relation to its participation in the reinsurance of longevity risk in respect of pensions in payment in the Aviva Staff Pension Scheme, the largest pension scheme longevity swap executed to date in the UK market
- Pension Insurance Corporation on a number of its transactions with pension scheme trustees, such as Cadbury, London Stock Exchange and Alliance Unichem, and including on the first all risk insurance structure to include future service liabilities
- Multiple employers in relation to the closure of their defined benefit pension schemes to future accrual and the implementation of new benefit arrangements
- EdF on the disposal of its UK networks business and the separation of its significant pension arrangements
- an employer on the establishment of an asset backed funding structure in respect of its UK pension liabilities