Rommo is highly regarded for his ability to leverage his technical legal excellence to achieve his client’s desired commercial outcomes. Rommo’s key areas of expertise are senior executive employment arrangements and advising on employment issues associated with corporate restructuring / transactional support, both of which require Rommo to traverse employment laws, ASX Listing Rules and Corporations Act issues. Rommo prides himself on being able to solve specific employment-related problems without losing sight of his clients’ broader corporate objectives.
In 2018, Rommo was recognised by his peers and clients as an Employment & WHS Rising Star in Doyle’s Guide.
Rommo advises private, public and ASX-listed companies across different sectors, including financial services, information technology, health services, telecommunications and construction. He regularly advises clients in relation to:
- structuring executive employment arrangements, including drafting and negotiation of key management personnel contracts and drafting ASX announcements
- enforcement of post-employment obligations and restrictions against former employees
- employment issues associated with corporate restructuring/transactions, and has experience across share and asset sales/acquisitions, initial public offerings, demergers and schemes of arrangement
- employee/contractor engagements and the risks associated with misclassification
- the establishment of start-up companies’ employment arrangements and practices
- employee termination issues and strategy, including in respect of redundancy and unfair dismissal
- adverse action, discrimination and breach of contract issues;
- various other employment issues, such as modern award coverage, minimum wages, transfer of employment, and leave entitlements and obligations
Advising the Commonwealth Bank of Australia on employment issues associated with its $3.8 billion sale of its life insurance business to AIA
- obtaining interlocutory injunctive relief against a former employee of an ASX-listed conglomerate in post-employment restraint of trade litigation in Queensland and negotiating settlements against 6 other former employees in Victoria
- advising various clients on pre-IPO employment restructuring and other employment-related issues, including clients in the financial services, energy and resources, media, fashion and clothing, print communications and property industries
- advising an ASX100 company in relation to its treatment of existing awards under over 30 incentive plans, and implementation of go-forward retention incentives, across 8 jurisdictions
Rommo holds a Bachelor of Laws (Hons) and a Bachelor of Commerce with Distinction from the University of New South Wales.