Rupert advises sponsors, investors and financiers on all aspects of project financing in Asia Pacific.
Rupert provides specialist Asia project finance expertise, advising sponsors, investors and financiers on all aspects of project financing in Asia Pacific.
This includes financing greenfield projects and brownfield asset refinancing as well as financing related aspects of secondary market acquisitions.
He has considerable international experience, having advised across multiple jurisdictions, including Australia, India, Asia, Africa, the Middle East and the United States.
Rupert’s primary sectors of focus are energy, with a particular focus on renewable energy, and Infrastructure, including roads, rail and ports. He also advises on traditional power, resources and other areas within the energy and infrastructure sectors.
Originally from Australia, Rupert has bachelor's degrees in law and in forensics from Murdoch University in Perth. He is an associate of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators and holds a graduate diploma of legal practice from the College of Law in Sydney.
Rupert worked with Herbert Smith Freehills from 2010 to 2019, first as a solicitor and then as a senior associate, working in the firm's Perth, Sydney and Tokyo offices, including on secondments with both SoftBank Group Corp. and Fotowatio Renewable Ventures. He was most recently a Senior Counsel and Head of Legal, Project Finance & Energy at SoftBank Group Corp., where he worked from 2019 to 2021.
Experience & expertise
- SoftBank Group Corp. and SB Energy on the development and financing of its Solar Project platform in India, together with all aspects of its associated incorporated joint venture arrangements
- Momentum Trains (an international consortium comprising CAF, UGL, Pacific Partnerships, CPB Contractors, CAF Investment Projects and DIF Infrastructure V Coöperatief) in respect of Regional Rail Project, a PPP with TfNSW
- Electricity Generating Public Company Limited (EGCO) on the refinancing of the senior project finance facilities for its 113 MW(AC) Boco Rock Wind Farm in the New South Wales Snowy Mountains region
- Eurus Energy Holdings Corporation and Windlab Limited as sponsors in Kennedy Energy Park Pty Ltd on the construction, offtake, grid connection and project financing of the Kennedy Energy Park, a combined wind, solar and battery storage project, located in central northern Queensland
- ANZ, MUFG and SMBC on the project financing of the 100MW Lilyvale Solar Farm, located 50km north east of Emerald, in the Central Highlands region of Queensland