Monica has experience of advising on energy, power and mining projects and transactions around the world, in particular advising major PRC companies on their outbound investment. Her practice covers M&A, joint venture, project development and project finance, private equity investment, corporate and corporate finance. She also has considerable experience in advising foreign clients on doing business in China.
Monica has advised on acquisitions and projects in jurisdictions including Australia, Indonesia, China, Africa, Russia, South America and the United Kingdom.
Monica's experience includes:
- Silk Road Fund on acquisition of 9.9% stake in Yamal LNG from Novatek, Russia's largest independent natural gas producer. The payment for the acquisition amounted to EUR 1,087 million.
- Sinopec in relation to its acquisition from Talisman Energy of 49% of Talisman's UK North Sea business for approximately US$1.5 billion, including on the sale and purchase and joint venture arrangements
- Sinopec on its subscription for a 15% ownership interest in Australia Pacific LNG, a leading producer of coal seam gas in Australia, at a consideration of US$1.5 billion, and its US$1.1 billion increase in equity in APLNG to 25%
- Sinopec in relation to the US$3.5 billion acquisition of OAO Udmurtneft from TNK-BP and the associated joint venture with Rosneft
- CNOOC on its sale and purchase agreements to acquire Tullow Oil's one third interest in exploration areas 1, 2 and 3A in Uganda, for an estimated value of US$1.467 billion
- a leading oil and gas company in Southeast Asia on the proposed acquisition of a 40% interest in Statoil's Peregrino oil field offshore Brazil
China Chapter, The Energy Regulation and Markets Review - Edition 9, published in July 2020 (Co-authors: Beijing Senior Associate James Zhang, Associate Qiujie Tan), Originally published in The Law Reviews Expert Panel 2020
- Host Country's Government in Belt & Road Projects: Roles, Risks and Mitigation, Part II, CHINCA Magazine, August 2018 (Co-authors: Beijing Senior Associate Jie Li, Associate Yunfei Guo)
- Host Country's Government in Belt & Road Projects: Roles, Risks and Mitigation Part I, CHINCA Magazine, July 2018 (Co-authors: Beijing Senior Associate Jie Li, Associate Yunfei Guo)
- China Chapter, The Energy Regulation and Markets Review - Edition 7, published in July 2018 (Co-author: Beijing Senior Associate James Zhang), Originally published in The Law Reviews Expert Panel 2018
- Understanding Revenue Risk in Belt and Road Projects, China Forex, volume 2, January 2018 (Co-author: Beijing Senior Associate Jie Li)
- Trend in medium to long term LNG SPAs, Energy Observer, 2 September 2017 (Co-author: Beijing Senior Associate James Zhang)
- Major projects: environmental risks in China: overview, Practical Law, Thomson Reuters, 2016/17 (Co-author: Beijing Senior Associate Jie Li)
- Chapter 5 - China, The Energy Regulation and Markets Review - Edition 4, published in June 2015 (Co-authors: Beijing Senior Associate Hao Su and Associate James Zhang)
Monica worked in both our Hong Kong and Beijing offices from 2003 to 2007, and she rejoined our energy group in early 2010, after receiving a Master of Laws from the Harvard University School of Law in 2008 and working at the corporate division of a top Wall Street law firm.
Monica is licensed to practice law in the State of New York. She is fluent in Mandarin and English.