Mathew is a Partner who has been on secondment in Indonesia from Herbert Smith Freehills for the last 10 years. He has worked primarily on various public and private mergers and acquisitions and project developments in the oil and gas, energy and resources, power and infrastructure (particularly ports) sectors and has provided general Indonesian corporate and foreign investment regulatory advice.
Matthew is described by his clients as "an excellent, commercially minded lawyer with exceptional country and industry knowledge." He is further praised by commentators as "a decision maker who advises us rather than just reciting the law" and who possesses "a photographic memory of everything." Matthew has been commended for providing “both very astute and commercially focused legal advice. He is a solutions-based lawyer who looks for ways to get the deal done.”
Matthew has been recognized as a “Next Generation Partner” in Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2020 and 2021 and as an “Up and Coming” in Chambers Asia-Pacific 2020 and 2021.
Matthew's experience includes advising:
- Sumitomo Metal Mining in relation to its successful divestment of a minority interest in PT Vale Indonesia Tbk to MIND-ID (the Indonesian state-owned mining company) with a transaction value of US$400 million
- Neptune Energy in its acquisition of a 20% interest in the East Sepinggan PSC, farm-in of a 30% interest in the East Ganal PSC from Eni and the award of the new West Ganal PSC in Indonesia
- the Indonesian project company from the joint venture of Pertamina and Rosneft in relation to a new integrated refinery and petrochemical complex to be located in East Java, Indonesia
- a European renewable power company in relation to its proposed greenfield development of the first waste-to-energy plant in Indonesia in Sunter, Jakarta in co-operation with a regional-owned enterprise
- Aspen Medical and Docta in relation to its $US1 billion project in West Java to build and operate 650 healthcare clinics and 23 hospitals across Indonesia in co-operation with the regional owned enterprise PT Jasa Sarana
Matthew is admitted in the Supreme Court of Western Australia and graduated with a Bachelor of Laws (First Class Honours) from the University of Notre Dame. Matthew has also completed a Graduate Diploma of Applied Finance with Kaplan Education.
7th December 2022
Leading Indonesian law firm Hiswara Bunjamin & Tandjung , in association with Herbert Smith Freehills...