Jean-Marie's practice focuses on commercial litigation as well as international arbitration. In particular, Jean-Marie advises clients in relation to contractual and distribution disputes as well as corporate and insolvency issues. He also regularly advises clients in relation to African disputes, particularly in the fields of oil & gas and mining.
Jean-Marie appears and advocates cases before all French civil and commercial courts as well as the courts of francophone African countries.
Before joining the firm, Jean-Marie interned in the Algiers office of a major French law firm as well as at a leading international arbitration law firm in Istanbul. He also interned in the legal department of one of the European leaders in business services.
Jean-Marie is fluent in both French and English.
Jean-Marie's experience includes advising:
- a leading South African mining company in an ICC arbitration in relation to the extraction of copper in a central African country
- various major companies in the context of the termination of distribution agreements, including claims for abrupt termination of an established commercial relationship
- a leading property developer in an ad hoc arbitration and parallel court proceedings in relation to a joint-venture dispute
- a leading Japanese energy company in the context of its exit from a hydrocarbon field located in a North African state
- various major international companies in the context of cross-border insolvency proceedings, including a dispute for fraud of creditors' rights
- a major international tobacco company in connection with sponsorship and advertising issues relating to sports events
- a major services provider in the context of its exit from a port concession in a country located in Western Africa
- a major international energy company in connection with cross-border enforcement
Jean-Marie completed his studies at the University of Exeter where he obtained an LLM in International Commercial Law. He also holds a degree from the University of Rennes-I (France) where he obtained a Postgraduate Diploma in Business Law (DJCE). He has been qualified as a French Avocat since November 2018.