Jean-Marie's practice focuses on commercial litigation as well as international arbitration. In particular, Jean-Marie advises clients in relation to contractual and distribution disputes as well as corporate, insolvency and insurance issues. He regularly advises clients in relation to African disputes, particularly in the fields of oil & gas and mining. Jean-Marie has also been increasingly involved in OHADA related enforcement issues before both local courts and the Common Court of Justice and Arbitration (CCJA).
Jean-Marie appears and advocates cases before all French civil and commercial courts as well as the courts of francophone African countries.
Before joining the firm, Jean-Marie interned in the Algiers office of a major French law firm as well as at a leading international arbitration law firm in Istanbul. He also interned in the legal department of one of the European leaders in business services.
Jean-Marie is fluent in both French and English.
Jean-Marie's experience includes advising:
- leading mining companies in ICC arbitrations in relation to the extraction of copper and cobalt in a central African country
- various international companies in the context of the termination of distribution agreements, including claims for abrupt termination of an established commercial relationship
- major international energy companies in connection with cross-border enforcement issues under both OHADA and French law
- a group of insurers in the context of a dispute with a company operating a luxury hotel in connection with a multi-million euro jewellery heist
- a major banking institution in proceedings initiated by an investor before the French courts for the alleged mis-seling of financial products
- a leading Japanese energy company in the context of its exit from a hydrocarbon field located in a North African state
- various major international companies in the context of cross-border insolvency proceedings, including a dispute for fraud of creditors' rights
Jean-Marie completed his studies at the University of Exeter where he obtained an LLM in International Commercial Law. He also holds a degree from the University of Rennes-I (France) where he obtained a Postgraduate Diploma in Business Law (DJCE). He has been qualified as a French Avocat since November 2018.