Grant works on M&A and other corporate transactions (including Part VII transfers), and has extensive experience of large and complex (re)insurance transactions. He also has an in-depth knowledge of the regulatory regime that applies to (re)insurers and (re)insurance brokers. In addition, he is a member of the firm's fintech group, and has worked companies looking to develop businesses in that sector.
Grant has qualified as a Chartered Tax Advisor (non-practising) with the Irish Tax Institute, and is an affiliate member of the Society of Actuaries in Ireland.
Grant's experience includes:
- Credit Suisse on a multi-billion pound reinsurance programme in respect of Dai-Ichi Life's variable-annuity products, and on Credit Suisse's connected risk-management arrangements
- Old Mutual on the disposal of Rogge Global Partners to Allianz
- an international reinsurer in respect of Manweb's £1bn longevity insurance for its defined-benefit pension-scheme
- a compliance review for a listed insurance broker's global operations
- Treasury Wine Estates on its acquisition of Diageo's European and North American wine business for $552m
Prior to joining Herbert Smith Freehills, Grant worked with a leading Irish law firm. Prior to that, he was an in-house lawyer working in the European headquarters of a leading American financial institution.