Frédéric is a partner in the firm's IP/TMT practice in Paris specialising in cross-border patent litigation, including the related regulatory aspects in the pharmaceutical field. He has developed particularly strong expertise in the life sciences and TMT fields, having been directly involved in a number of major and high value patent cases since 2010 for leading innovator pharmaceutical companies and leading TMT actors.
Frédéric’s practice focuses on representing pharmaceutical innovators and high-tech companies in cross-border patent litigation involving numerous jurisdictions. He has worked on high-profile cases which notably lead to the CJEU’s first decision addressing the subject matter and effects of a Supplementary Protection Certificate, and confirming the first granted decision in France (even Europe-wide) on this issue. In addition, Frédéric has worked on high-profile, multi-jurisdictional patent dispute involving Standard Essential Patents in the telecommunications field (UMTS and LTE, FRAND).
Frédéric’s experience includes advising:
- Merck & Co., Inc. (MSD) in the pan-European defence and enforcement of MSD’s SPCs protecting ezetimibe and statin compounds based on the same basic patent, and the successful defense of MSD’s Keytruda® anti-PDL1 antibody against BMS and Ono, including resisting a preliminary injunction request from the patentees*
- Novartis in the successful enforcement and defense of its mono SPC for its blockbuster valsartan against combination products, including securing several preliminary injunctions against several Gx, and the successful enforcement and defense of the validity of a claim for the fixed dose combination of Exforge®, including securing a preliminary injunction and the highest amount of (provisional) damages ever granted in France against a Gx having launched at risk*
- Pfizer for the multi-jurisdictional enforcement and successful defense of the validity of its second medical use claim of its blockbuster product pregabalin - Lyrica®, obtaining the first positive decision confirming the validity of a SMU claim in France*
- Samsung Electronics for the multi-jurisdictional enforcement of its standard essential patents (UMTS - FRAND) against Apple, including seeking preliminary injunction measures against its iOS products, and the defense of its rights to market its products against Technicolor’s standard essential patents (LTE - FRAND)*
- Brötje Automation for the defense of its rights to manufacture and market rivets and metal fixings for aircrafts, including successfully seeking the nullity of several patents enforced against it*
*prior to joining Herbert Smith Freehills