Damien Hazard practices in corporate / M&A, with a particular focus on private treaty M&A.
He is also a leading practitioner in fundraising for private equity and similar closed end private funds (including infrastructure and debt funds).
Damien’s M&A experience includes advising private equity and venture capital funds, corporate clients and management teams on leveraged acquisitions, disposals, restructures, capital raisings and joint ventures.
Damien is also one of Australia’s leading private equity funds lawyers, having acted on the establishment of a number of leading Australian private equity and other closed ended funds.
Damien is a member of the firm’s private equity group, and client relationship partner for the firm’s relationship with Archer Capital. He has also served as a client relationship partner for Goldman Sachs & Partners Australia.
Damien holds a Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Laws (Honours) from the University of Sydney.
He joined Freehills (as it then was) in 1996 and has been a partner in the corporate group since 2006.
Experience & expertise
- the shareholders of Rebel Group on its A$610 million sale to Super Retail Group
- Archer Capital on its A$450 million acquisition of Quick Service Restaurants from Quadrant Private Equity
- Seven Group Holdings on aspects of the A$4.1 billion merger of Seven Media Group and West Australian Newspapers, and related transactions with Kohlberg Kravis Roberts & Co
- Archer Capital and Archer Capital Growth Funds on the establishment of the A$1.5bn Archer Capital Fund 5 and the A$300 million Archer Capital Growth Fund 2
- Archer Capital on its acquisitions of Brownes Foods, Gull Petroleum and Ausfuel