Alejandra specializes in insurance and reinsurance disputes defending clients in the energy, engineering, and construction sectors. She has broad experience as well in product liability claims and environmental liability matters.
She acts as an advocate before the Spanish civil and criminal courts and as counsel to mediation and arbitration. Alejandra has assisted policyholders and insurers in international disputes resolution matters with extensive experience in a wide variety of the Latin American jurisdictions.
She regularly provides cover advise on property damage, business interruption and professional indemnity policies and she has assisted in adapting into the Spanish market foreign policies in different types of underlying risks.
Alejandra's experience includes:
a hazardous waste recycling company on a cover dispute arising from a contamination event in Sweden
a Spanish engineering group on claims connected to alleged defective equipment supplied to solar energy projects in Australia
a cover dispute for defective design of gas turbines and equipment affecting several thermo-solar power plants
a leading European manufacturer and its Argentinean subsidiary on an international credit insurance programme in connection with two projects in Argentina, following payment default by the contractor
a pellet production plant designer on its defence in arbitration proceedings before the Chamber of Arbitration in Milan for alleged defective design
an electricity company and its third-party liability insurers on their defence against several claims and litigation brought by wind farm owners based on property damage and associated loss of profit following supply interruptions
a power supply company on an appeal lodged in proceedings brought by an oil & gas producer following power interruption
an insurer in a claim for damages against a life sciences company related to an alleged defective recall in the US
the liability insurer of an electricity supply company on it defence following a bush fire and environmental damage affecting over 600 owners of plots of land
contractors in a cover dispute under a contractors' all risks policy following damages and business interruption caused by defective equipment in solar power plants
Policyholders and property damage insurers in recovery claims against owners of vessels and P&I Clubs following damages to offshore energy infrastructure
A cover dispute under the international insurance programme of a contractor following defective performance of construction works in Portugal.
- Alejandra Galdos is best known for acting as counsel to insurers and regularly coordinates cross-border proceedings.
Chambers Europe 2021 -Spain (Insurance)
- Another key name in the team is counsel Alejandra Galdos, whose strengths include energy and construction disputes for key insurers, reinsurers and policyholders.
Legal 500 EMEA 2021 – Spain (Insurance)
- Of counsel Alejandra Galdos advises insurers and policyholders on construction and engineering accidents. Interviewees value her technical skills and add that she is "very easy to work with".
Chambers Europe 2020 – Spain (Insurance)
- "Alejandra Galdos has great expertise in the insurance sector and the ability to analyse the strengths and weakness of a case and prepare the lawsuit accordingly"
"Alejandra Galdos is very proactive, resolute and hardworking"
Legal 500 EMEA 2020 – Spain (Insurance)
- Alejandra Galdos is praised as an "excellent contentious lawyer" with one source underlining her "understanding of the insurance industry and regulations". She often represents policyholders in the energy industry, with additional experience in insurance disputes concerning the engineering and construction sectors.
Chambers Europe 2019 – Spain (Insurance)
Alejandra obtained her law degree at Universidad de Navarra in 1998, a MBA at IE Business School and a Master's degree in Practice Law at IE Law School. She is an accredited mediator by CEDR.
She is a professor at ICADE University where she lectures Tort, Liability and European Insurance Business (Master's Degree in International European Business Law).