Tim is a partner in the Corporate group specialising in equity capital markets, mergers and acquisitions and complex corporate matters.
Tim is a partner in the Corporate group of Herbert Smith Freehills with particular expertise in equity capital markets, mergers and acquisitions, complex transactions and managed funds matters.
Tim is recognised as:
- one of Australia’s best equity capital markets lawyers in the Best Lawyers peer review survey since its inception in 2009 through to 2021
- Best Lawyer’s 2021 Melbourne Equity Capital Markets Lawyer of the Year
- a ‘Leader in their Field’ by Chambers Global where he is described as ‘the kind of lawyer I go to with complicated problems – he always comes up with creative and original solutions’
- a leading individual for Capital Markets in Asia Pacific Legal 500 and
- one of Australia’s best M&A and funds management lawyers in the Best Lawyers peer review.
Tim has acted on initial public offerings, secondary capital raisings (including entitlement offers using accelerated structures and “low doc” offers), hybrid security offers, warrant and structured product offers, schemes of arrangement for companies and managed investment schemes, takeovers and negotiated acquisitions and disposals. Tim’s transaction experience is in relation to both companies and managed investment schemes, for issuers and for all of Australia’s major underwriters and lead managers.
Tim has provided extensive advice on Corporations Act compliance for companies and managed investment schemes, including in relation to the ASX Listing Rules, directors’ duties, related party transactions, capital reductions, DRPs, security buy backs, corporate governance issues and Australian Financial Services Licensing. Tim has had significant interaction with ASIC and ASX in relation to obtaining relief and waivers to facilitate various transactions.
Tim holds Bachelor of Laws (Honours) and Bachelor of Commerce degrees from the University of Melbourne. Tim has been with Herbert Smith Freehills since 1996 and has practised in both the Melbourne and Sydney offices.
Tim lectures at the University of Melbourne in the Mergers, Acquisitions and Capital Markets course.
Experience & expertise
Top Shelf International's $110 million IPO
Tulla Resources Inc's $244 million IPO
Australian Unity Limited's $105 million IPO of mutual capital instruments, Australia's first offer of mutual capital instruments
Newcrest Limited’s 2020 $1 billion placement and SPP
Metcash Limited’s 2020 $300 million placement and SPP
Orica Limited’s 2020 $500 million placement and SPP
Wesfarmers’ two block trades selling down shares in Coles Limited (February 2020, $1.05 billion and March 2020 $1.06 billion)
Nuchev Limited’s IPO
- Acting for Healthscope in relation to Brookfield’s proposed $4.35 billion acquisition of Healthscope by a combined scheme of arrangement and takeover
Acting for Amcor in relation to its US$6.8 billion acquisition of Bemis Inc. and associated scheme of arrangement and listing on the New York Stock Exchange.