He has particular expertise in large-scale corporate and project finance, corporate restructuring and turnaround, and acquisition and leveraged finance. Martin advises some of Australia’s leading banks, sponsors and mining and resources organisations.
Martin gained international experience working in the banking department of Linklaters LLP’s London office, where he was involved in a number of acquisition and leveraged finance transactions. He also completed a secondment at JPMorgan Chase Bank in London.
- acting for a syndicate of banks in connection with the restructuring of a multi-fuel cogeneration plant in Worsley, Western Australia
- acting for National Australia Bank and ANZ Banking Group on a range of secured and unsecured financing transactions
- acting for Industry Funds Management in connection with a recent commercial property financing transaction
- acting for the purchaser in connection with its acquisition of National Can Industries
- acting for Toll Holdings on its syndicated, club and United States private placement (USPP) financing arrangements
- acting for OZ Minerals (and, previously, Zinifex) in connection with its financing arrangements
Martin joined Freehills in 2001. From 2004 to 2006, he worked as an associate in the banking department of Linklaters LLP in London, during which time he also undertook a secondment at the London office of JPMorgan Chase Bank.
Martin holds a Bachelor of Laws (first class honours) and a Bachelor of Commerce from the University of Melbourne, and a Master of Laws (first class) from the University of Cambridge in the United Kingdom.
Martin is admitted to practise as a barrister and solicitor in the Supreme Court of Victoria and the High Court of Australia.