Maria is a Russian-qualified lawyer specialising in dispute resolution. She has been involved in proceedings before Russian state courts and international arbitration tribunals and developed a particular expertise on contractual and corporate disputes and claims involving bankruptcy and restructuring proceedings. Maria also advises on labour law issues.
Maria's experience includes advising:
- an independent private investment group in several corporate disputes against one of the major Russian companies
- an investment bank in the LCIA arbitration in London in relation to the claim for breach of a deed of settlement and release, including obtaining freezing orders in the US, France, Germany
- two subsidiaries of Raven Russia in parallel ICAC arbitrations against Russian major retailer in connection with defaults under the lease agreements
- a syndicate of banks in a set of litigation and arbitration proceedings for enforcement of a credit facility provided to a group of Kazakh and Russian commodities producers operating eight oil depots in Kazakhstan, including LCIA arbitration against a Kazakh company, obtaining freezing orders for up to US$300 million in Russia and insolvency proceeding in Kazakhstan
- a state Irish bank in a multi-jurisdictional proceedings initiated in Russia, Cyprus, Ireland and UK on the recovery of securities and assets from Quinn Aoife family related to the recovery of indebtedness under facility agreement
Maria joined the firm in 2013. Before joining Herbert Smith Freehills, she worked in the dispute resolution practice of an international law firm in Moscow. Maria speaks Russian and English.