Lawrence has 30 years of broad commercial and civil litigation experience.
Lawrence has 30 years of broad commercial and civil litigation experience, with a concentration in product liability and media law defense and counseling. He has handled cases covering a wide range of areas, including negligence, contract interpretation/breach, defamation/privacy, trademark/copyright, advertising/marketing, domain names/cybersquatting, e-commerce, employment discrimination, antitrust, insurance coverage, bankruptcy, environmental and federal constitutional law.
Mr. Savell is proficient in computerized litigation document review/production and databases, Internet-based production systems, and other innovative and cost efficient litigation support technologies, as applied to both paper-based and electronic discovery. He also has extensive experience with and understanding of case and budget/resource management and tracking software and systems.
Mr. Savell is a member of the American Bar Association, the New York State Bar Association (served on the Media Law Committee), and the Association of the Bar of the City of New York (served on the Communications and Media Law Committee).
U.S. District Court - Southern and Eastern Districts of New York
- Super Lawyers (2014) – Personal Injury – Products: Defense, E-Discovery, Media and Advertising
- American Bar Association Standing Committee on Gavel Awards Certificate of Merit Award for “Old Cars In Law” column in Car Collector magazine, for “contribution to public understanding of the American system of law and justice”
- Cornell University, B.A., with distinction, 1979
- University of Michigan Law School, J.D., 1982
Experience & expertise
- Assisted in domestic and international defense of complex products liability cases and counseling of clients regarding a broad range of industries and products, including trial and deposition examination, expert witness identification and development, and briefing and argument
- Organized, supervised, and defended paper and electronic document reviews and productions of all volumes, up to multimillion-page projects, including privilege review and log preparation, confidentiality/trade secret analysis, and strategic/substantive content assessment in products liability and other litigation contexts
- Served as client’s primary outside counsel for design, creation, and development of company Internet litigation document website, as well as presentations to courts and opposing counsel nationwide to encourage their use as alternative to traditional discovery methods
- Designed and conducted sophisticated and targeted Internet and database investigations and research projects
- Advised numerous corporate clients on legal issues relating to website design, operation, and content; custom publications and public statements; current or proposed advertising/promotions, including threatened claims by others regarding advertisements published.
- Advised and represented several national magazine publishers on broad range of legal matters, including libel, copyright, contract, domain infringement, advertising and marketing issues
- Advised national daily trade journal on potential libel issues, performed immediate pre-publication review, and dealt with subjects’ counsel during extensive series of ground-breaking investigative reports, which were subsequently awarded the Jesse H Neal National Business Journalism Award for Excellence in News Coverage
- Represented non-profit community music performance and education organization on a pro bono basis before World Intellectual Property Organization in recovery of domain name appropriated by cybersquatter
- Participated in defense of publisher of prominent educational book series in federal court lawsuit brought by writer claiming partial authorship of volume
- Advised corporation regarding threatened libel claim by former employee and negotiated with employee’s counsel
- Advised domestic and international trade associations on legal issues including antitrust and regarding contemplated e-commerce undertakings