Jonathan's practice focuses on government investigations and sanctions.
Jonathan's practice focuses on government investigations and regulatory matters, including US economic sanctions and export control issues, Exon-Florio foreign investment filing issues, and securities and antitrust litigation.
Jonathan also has substantial experience in the field of complex commercial litigation, with a focus on transnational business disputes as well as project finance and infrastructure-related litigation.
In addition to this work, Jonathan regularly contributes to Herbert Smith Freehills' sanctions blog, which covers the latest trends and developments in the sanctions space.
Jonathan obtained his J.D. in 2000 from the University of Pennsylvania School of Law, summa cum laude, where he was elected to the Order of the Coif and served as an Articles Editor for the University of Pennsylvania Law Review. He earned his B.A. in 1997 in Political Science from the University of Rhode Island. He clerked for the Hon. Karen J. Williams of the United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit.
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
U.S. District Court, Northern District of New York
U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
Experience & expertise
- a multinational energy company with respect to US sanctions issues arising from a minority investment in a Venezuelan joint venture;
- the owner of a major European energy pipeline in connection with sanctions issues arising under the pipeline provisions of the Countering America's Adversaries Through Sanctions Act ("CAATSA")
- a global investment management firm on US export controls and US sanctions in connection with Hong Kong
- a private equity and debt financing investor on US sanctions risk in connection with Title III of the Helms-Burton Act
- an Asian energy company with respect to US export controls, supply-chain risks, and US sanctions in connection with the Xinjiang region of China
- a US educational technology company concerning the impact of US government procurement restrictions involving certain Chinese telecommunications equipment companies;
- a leading blockchain technology provider with respect to OFAC sanctions and BIS export compliance issues