Jon is a contentious financial services regulatory specialist, with significant litigation experience.
Jon acts for banks and other financial institutions, advising them on high-profile regulatory investigations, enforcement proceedings and litigation.
Prior to re-joining Herbert Smith Freehills as a senior associate, he spent four years as a senior member of an investment bank's litigation and regulatory investigation department, working closely with all business lines including FX, capital markets, and commodities. Through his time in-house Jon understands first-hand a client's needs: he provides focused and clear advice, helping clients navigate often challenging circumstances.
Jon has advised clients on some of the most high profile regulatory investigations, including the cross-border investigation into the FX market, and others conducted by the FCA, SFO, DOJ, SEC and CFTC.
He has also advised clients on significant disputes, most recently involving the duties of an arranger bank in a debt capital market transaction.
Jon read Philosophy, Politics and Economics at Pembroke College, Oxford and qualified as a solicitor in England and Wales in 2009.
Experience & expertise
- acting for a major UK bank in a FCA investigation and enforcement of breaches of Principle 11
- advising an investment bank on an internal investigation into allegations regarding its role as a distributor of structured notes
- advising an investment bank on a FCA investigation into potential market abuse
- advising a consumer credit firm on enhancements to its affordability processes and a back book review following amendments to the FCA's consumer credit sourcebook
- advising a major investment bank in relation to allegations of products sold to a client being speculative, ultra vires and procured by bribery