Fiorella began her career at a local Johannesburg firm in January 2013 and joined Herbert Smith Freehills as an Associate in March 2018. She is an admitted attorney and notary of the High Court of South Africa.
Fiorella has experience in commercial litigation, including cross border dispute resolution (specifically in Africa) and alternative dispute resolution, such as arbitrations and mediations.
Fiorella is fluent in English and Spanish and holds an Advanced Certificate in International Arbitration from the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (CIArb) and is also a board member of the Young Members Group of the CIArb (Johannesburg branch).
She is part of a team that specialises in various aspects of commercial litigation and has experience in areas such as the following:
- cross border dispute resolution (specifically in Africa)
- arbitrations, mediations and alternative dispute resolution
- research and drafting of legal opinions
- general domestic litigation including instituting, prosecuting and defending actions, applications, arbitration proceedings and drafting of pleadings
In particular she has advised, or formed part of a team advising, clients on the following commercial disputes:
- advising an international construction company in respect of various aspects of liability in Zambian mines
- litigation in Zanzibar pertaining to the breach of a Services Agreement
- arbitration in respect of an energy dispute involving a tender in Bid Window 4 of the REIPPP
- advising international fuel companies in respect of various disputes
- various shareholder disputes in private and public (listed) companies
- various applications to have directors declared delinquent under the Companies Act 71 of 2008