Edward advises on regulatory investigations, white-collar crime, and commercial and shareholder disputes.
With experience advising on corporate crime and accountability issues for boards and senior executives in Australia, the Asia-Pacific and the United Kingdom, Edward helps clients understand and meet their regulatory obligations and deal with associated litigation and investigations. He uses his expertise in managing complex disputes and regulatory engagements in the financial services, technology, energy, mining and infrastructure sectors to provide valuable insight to companies and senior executives on existing and emerging risks in those sectors.
Edward has advised multinationals, directors, senior executives and high-profile individuals on investigations conducted by the ACCC, ASIC, APRA, AUSTRAC, NSW ICAC, State and Federal parliamentary inquiries and Royal Commissions, the Australian Federal Police, the Serious Fraud Office (UK), Financial Conduct Authority (UK), National Crime Agency (UK), the Office of Financial Sanctions Implementation (UK), the Information Commissioner’s Office (UK), the Securities and Exchange Commission (U.S.), the Department of Justice (U.S.) and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (U.S.).
Edward has a Master of Laws from the University of Sydney, focusing on white-collar crime, and a combined Bachelor of Laws (First Class Honours) and Business from the University of Technology, Sydney.
He was admitted to practise in Australia in 2010.
Edward is listed by Doyle’s Guide as a Rising Star in Commercial Litigation, NSW (2022), and was recognised by clients (in Legal500 Australia 2021 – White Collar Crime) as “extremely responsive” and listening “to the actual situation of the company and adjusting the process and output to the needs. Very pleasant to deal with”.
Experience & expertise
- Advising an international investment bank and several of its executives in respect of concurrent ASIC proceedings and ACCC investigations into insider trading and cartel conduct.
- Acting for an ASX 100 company in relation to Federal Court proceedings regarding allegations of ‘greenwashing’ and misleading or deceptive conduct.
- Defending an executive director and senior chief officer of a global public company in concurrent civil penalty proceedings in Australia and the U.S. in respect of disclosure obligations.
- Conducting a multi-jurisdictional bribery and money laundering investigation for a high-ranking public official in respect of criminal and regulatory investigations into the 1MDB corruption scandal.
- Advising global financial institutions on their regulatory engagements with APRA and AUSTRAC in relation to Australian banking and AML/CTF obligations, including in relation to the Banking Executive Accountability Regime.
- Successfully defending a multinational mining company against a statutory derivative action brought by a minority shareholder in respect of the sale of a Lithium and Tantalum mine.