We have published a client guide to the English court’s jurisdiction under the recast Brussels Regulation (No 1215/2012), which applies to proceedings commenced on or after 10 January 2015. The guide features a decision tree, which is intended as a quick reference to help determine whether the English court will have jurisdiction over a dispute under the new rules.
Please click the download button above to download an interactive PDF of the guide (Version 2, July 2015). Once you have opened the PDF, you can click on any of the decision tree boxes to bring you to a more detailed note on the relevant aspect of the rules.
In broad outline, the main areas of reform under the recast Brussels Regulation are:
- extending the rules relating to jurisdiction agreements and defusing “torpedo” actions
- clarifying the extent and effect of the exclusion of arbitration from the ambit of the Regulation
- new rules on stays in favour of proceedings in a non-member state
- extending the rules relating to consumers and employees to apply to non-EU domiciled traders and employers
- making Member State judgments immediately enforceable across the EU