Thierry is a Disputes Partner who specialises in commercial litigation and international arbitration.
Thierry has extensive experience as counsel in complex arbitration cases relating to civil aviation, rail and engineering, as well as in litigation in the fields of rail, banking, M&A transactions and D&O liability.
He also has extensive experience in corporate litigation (shareholder litigation, directors’ liability, post-M&A litigation).
Thierry has an international practice linked with Africa and Brazil. He is among one of the few Paris-based practitioners who are able to conduct arbitration proceedings in Portuguese language.
- "Thierry Tomasi 'works like a Swiss watch – detailed, serious and accurate'" GAR 100 2017
- "The 'very sharp' Thierry Tomasi easily navigates in complex cross-border situations" Legal 500 EMEA 2015
- "Thierry Tomasi is professional and skilled" Legal 500 2014
- "Brazil: No Recognition of Foreign Arbitral Award Set Aside in the Country where the Award was Issued", ICC Dispute Resolution Bulletin, Issue 1, 2017 (avec M. de Campos Ludwig)
- "La Cour de cassation revient sur la transmission de la clause compromissoire dans le cadre d’une chaîne hétérogène de contrats translatifs de propriété" Cahiers de l’arbitrage/The Paris Journal of International Arbitration, 2015-1, p.71
- Juris-Classeur Droit International – Fiches pratiques Lexis Nexis en arbitrage international (avec G. Le Quillec)
Of French and Italian citizenship, Thierry speaks French, English, Italian, Portuguese and Spanish. He is also a member of the Brazilian Arbitration Committee (CBAr) and the International Bar Association and is a visiting Lecturer at the Catholic University of Louvain.
Thierry trained in French and Italian law and graduated in International Law and Arbitration Law from the University of Paris II (Panthéon – Assas) and King’s College London.
He has been a member of the Paris bar since 2004.
Experience & expertise
- a dispute between investors in a telecommunications operation in Brazil (USD 15 billion, Brazilian law, ICC Paris, English language)
- a dispute related to a supply agreement in the military aeronautic sector (EUR 50 million, French law, ICC Paris, English language)
- a breach of a sales contract in the rail sector (in excess of USD 30 million dollars, Syrian law, ICC Geneva, English language)
- an action against a former Director for breach of fiduciary duties in the banking sector (EUR 180 million, Versailles and Paris Courts of Appeal, Court of Cassation)
- a breach of contract for the sale and construction of large LNG carriers (in excess of EUR 40 million, Paris Commercial Court and Court of Appeal).