Tim is a corporate lawyer specialising in governance, disclosure and ESG matters.
Tim specialises in corporate governance and has over a decade’s experience helping large corporations with environmental, social and governance (ESG) matters, particularly with respect to market disclosure, risk management and shareholder engagement/activism.
Tim routinely delivers cross-practice solutions for clients as the Australian lead for Herbert Smith Freehills’ ESG, Sustainability and Responsible Business practice, a senior member of the firm’s Head Office Advisory Team (HOAT) and a member of the firm’s global Business and Human Rights practice.
Tim has co-authored numerous publications in relation to corporate governance and shareholder rights and activism (including in Chambers and The Law Reviews). He also has previous experience in the financial industry, having worked as an analyst on the Japanese and Global investment strategies of a San Francisco Bay Area-based hedge fund.
In 2010, Tim was one of two Australians to receive a Young Leaders’ Program scholarship from the Japanese Ministry of Education to study for his MBA in Tokyo. He also holds Bachelor of Laws (Honours) and Bachelor of Commerce degrees from Monash University.
Experience & expertise
- providing strategic board advice on governance, risk management and company culture matters, including leading benchmarking and continuous improvement projects for ASX listed companies
- advising on market disclosure and shareholder engagement issues, including sales downgrades, annual reporting 'overhauls', and dealing with contentious general meetings
- assisting numerous ASX listed companies in responding to shareholder activism, including in relation to environmental issues, human rights/labour rights and economic demands
- designing and helping to implement governance frameworks and procedures for novel corporate structures, including for stapled listed trusts, offshore operations and not-for-profits
- advising and training clients on ethical sourcing and modern slavery risk management in their operations and supply chain.