Bryony is a litigator working principally with regulated commercial clients and government.
Bryony helps her clients navigate their regulatory rights and obligations in a manner consistent with their strategic objectives.
She advises clients on contentious issues and represents them in litigation, alternative dispute resolution processes and regulatory investigations, on a broad range of matters including those involving:
- statutory licensing regimes and other regulatory frameworks particularly in the context of gambling and financial service providers
- civil penalty proceedings
- complex commercial contracts and associated issues
- administrative, constitutional and other public law issues
- the appropriate treatment of sensitive information, including in the context of confidentiality and freedom of information laws.
Bryony collaborates with clients across a range of sectors and industries including Wagering, Technology, Media & Telecommunications, Government and Banking.
She helps commercial clients manage their regulatory risks and engage with regulators. She has particular expertise in dealing with contentious issues arising in the context of Australian anti-money laundering legislation and has also provided advice, representation and strategic assistance in relation to ASIC investigations, foreign corruption investigations and ACCC proceedings.
Bryony is also a general litigator, who works with her clients to pursue and resolve (as appropriate) disputes across a wide variety of subject matters. Some of the complex contractual disputes that she has acted in have involved interpretation issues, joint ventures, multiple jurisdictions, government contracting (including scope of power, sovereign risk, probity and procurement considerations) and other related matters (including misleading and deceptive conduct, fiduciary duties and estoppel).
Bryony recognises the need to tailor her approach to each dispute according to its size, strategic significance to the client and the client’s objectives and desired outcomes.
Her clients have recognised her for being commercial and perceptive and for instilling confidence.
Experience & expertise
- CBA in civil penalty proceedings brought by AUSTRAC under the Australian Anti-Money Laundering and Counter-Terrorism Financing (AML/CTF) legislation
- Tabcorp in civil penalty proceedings brought by AUSTRAC under the Australian AML/CTF legislation
- Tabcorp in a series of cases involving constitutional, competition and statutory interpretation issues relating to its wagering businesses and for its media division in relation to broadcasting rights disputes
- White Energy Company Limited in a contractual dispute brought in the High Court of Singapore, arising from an Indonesian coal mining joint venture with ancillary proceedings in Australia
- QBE in a dispute about the proper construction of a share sale agreement
- acting for ANZ in the Federal Court in Queensland in relation to alleged price fixing
- Lend Lease in Federal Court proceedings relating to allegations of misleading and deceptive conduct, breach of contract and unconscionable conduct.