Andrew has broad experience acting for both lenders and sponsors on a variety of financing transactions, with a focus on project finance in the mining, energy and infrastructure sectors.
Andrew has acted across a number of sectors, with particular focus on mining, energy and infrastructure. He has worked extensively on transactions in these sectors both domestically and internationally, including experience across numerous African jurisdictions, including Botswana, Burkina Faso, Senegal, Guinea, Ghana and Kenya.
- Recommended for project finance in the Asia Pacific Legal 500; and
- Included in Best Lawyers Australia for Project Finance and Development.
Andrew graduated from the University of Western Australia with a Bachelor of Laws (Distinction) and a Bachelor of Arts (Honours). He has also completed a Graduate Certificate in Applied Finance.
After commencing his career in the Perth office of Herbert Smith Freehills, Andrew spent 4 years in the firm’s Melbourne office. Prior to returning to the Perth office in 2014, Andrew spent two years working with a top-tier finance firm in Paris.
Experience & expertise
- acted for the MLAUBs (BNP Paribas, Citibank and Westpac) on the secured acquisition facility provided to Saracen Mineral Holdings to fund the acquisition of its 50% interest in the ‘Super Pit’ gold mine in Kalgoorlie. (Awarded Debt Market Deal of the Year at the 2020 Australasian Law Awards)
- acted for Synergy on the establishment of Bright Energy Investments, a fund (with co-investment from DIF and CBUS) for the development of renewable energy assets in Western Australia, including the project financing of the expansion of the Greenough River Solar Farm and the project financing of the Warradarge Wind Farm.
- acted for the lenders (ANZ, BNP Paribas and Westpac) on the project financing of Dacian Gold’s Mt Morgans gold project.
- acted for Woodside Petroluem Limited on numerous corporate finance facilities, including a loan facility provided by Eksport Kreditt Norway, with credit support from DNB and GIEK (Norwegian ECA).
- acted for Onslow Marine Support Base Pty Ltd on the Stage 1 and Stage 2 financing of its marine base in Onslow, WA, the first project to have drawn down on funding from the Northern Australian Infrastructure Facility.