Steven has extensive experience in assisting foreign financial services providers with their obligations under Australian laws.
Steven’s experience includes:
- advising banks, fund managers and corporate advisers, both in Australia and overseas, in relation to financial services licensing and compliance issues, including the categorisation and regulation of financial products, public offerings, and promotional materials.
- assisting clients in obtaining Australian financial services licences and Australian market licences, including advising on appropriate structures and exemptions and establishing the necessary compliance frameworks and documents.
- advising on corporate compliance issues, including with respect to corporate governance, share buy-backs, reductions of capital, financial market operating rules (such as ASX and Chi-X, and covering listing, operating, clearing and settlement rules), market integrity rules, and directors’ duties.
- advising on:
- regulatory investigations and reviews,
- OTC derivative regulation,
- prudential standards,
- anti-money laundering regulation,
- consumer protection laws in relation to financial products and financial services,
- credit regulation, and
- accounting standards and audit requirements.
Steven joined Herbert Smith Freehills from the Australian Securities and Investments Commission.
Steven is admitted as a legal practitioner in New South Wales and in Federal Courts in Australia, and is also a Chartered Accountant. Steven participates in the ASIC Corporate Finance Liaison meetings, and presents regularly to professional forums about current financial services and markets and regulatory matters.
Steven holds degrees including a Bachelor of Commerce, Bachelor of Laws (Hons.), Master of Laws, and Master of Business Administration (Exec.).