Jason is widely regarded as one of Australia’s leading class action, regulatory investigation, and product liability specialists.
Jason is widely regarded as one of Australia’s leading class action, regulatory investigation and product liability specialists. He has over 25 years’ of litigation experience and has defended the largest class actions and investigations in the Australian market. He is one of the few Australian defence lawyers to have run a class action to final trial and judgment, and is the only Australian lawyer to win two shareholder class actions at trial (on behalf of Worley and Iluka).
Jason also led the defence of two of Australia’s largest ever product liability class action cases, and acted for the defendant in the seminal Australian decision on third party litigation funding in Australia – Campbells Cash and Carry Pty Ltd v Fostif Pty Ltd.
Jason is a Visitor to the University of Sydney Law School, teaching the post-graduate course “Class Action Litigation in Australia”. In 2022 Jason co-authored the third edition of the leading class actions text book in the country, “Class Actions in Australia”. He obtained his Master of Laws from the University of Virginia, specialising in class action defence theory.
Jason holds a Bachelor of Commerce (Honours) and a Bachelor of Laws (Honours) from the University of Sydney, as well as a Master of Laws from the University of Virginia, where he specialised in class action litigation and advocacy.
Jason is a Visitor to the University of Sydney Law School, teaching the post-graduate course “Class Action Litigation in Australia”. In 2022 Jason co-authored the third edition of the leading class actions textbook in the country, “Class Actions in Australia”.
In 2022, Jason co-authored the third edition of Class Actions in Australia, the country’s leading text on class action law and practice.
Jason has also presented several papers on class actions in various forums, including to Federal Court Judges Conferences in Sydney, the Joint International Conference of the Defence Research Institute in Miami, and the International Bar Association in Chicago.
Jason is frequently quoted in mainstream media on issues arising in the defence of class action claims, litigation costs and third party litigation funding.
- Chambers Asia-Pacific 2021, 2022, 2023 – Band 1: “Jason Betts is widely acknowledged by both clients and fellow lawyers as a leading class action defence lawyer who is noted for strength in shareholder class actions. Sydney-based, he also acts extensively on regulatory investigations and prosecutions.”
- Chambers Global 2021, 2022, 2023 – Band 1.
- Winner of Lawyers Weekly Partner of the Year “Excellence Award” 2020, 2022.
- Winner of Lawyers Weekly “Dispute Resolution Partner of the Year” 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2022
- Winner of Lawyers Weekly “Litigation Partner of the Year” 2020, 2022.
- Winner of Australian Law Awards “Partner of the Year” 2019.
- Winner of Australian Law Awards “Litigator of the Year” 2022.
- Who’s Who Legal: Australia and New Zealand 2022, 2023.
- Doyles Guide – Leading Class Action Lawyers 2022.
- Doyles Guide – Leading Commercial Litigation & Dispute Resolution Lawyers – Market Leader 2021, 2022.
- Best Lawyers Australia – Alternative Dispute Resolution, Class Action Litigation; Product Liability Litigation; Bet-the-Company Litigation; Litigation 2021, 2022, 2023.
- Benchmark Asia-Pacific Awards 2021 – Lawyer of the Year – Australia.
- Benchmark Litigation Star for class actions 2021, 2022, 2023.
- The Legal 500 – Asia Pacific – Australia – Dispute Resolution, Class Actions – 2021 – “Leading Individual”.
- Winner of Lawyers Weekly Dispute Resolution Partner of the Year for 2019.
- Thomson Reuters – Client Nominated Standout.
Experience & expertise
- AMP: defending shareholder class action proceedings arising out of evidence at the Banking Royal Commission.
- Commonwealth Bank of Australia: acting for CBA in what is considered to be one of the largest shareholder class actions in Australia, raising claims in relation to the Bank’s AML/CTF compliance and disclosures.
- BHP: defending a shareholder class action arising from the Samarco Dam failure.
- Boral: defending two shareholder class actions in respect of disclosures regarding Boral’s North American business.
- Iluka: acting for Iluka Resources Limited in respect of a shareholder class action concerning illegal breaches of its continuous disclosure obligations, culminating in a 5-week trial in 2021.
- Macquarie: defending Macquarie in shareholder proceedings regarding the Nuix IPO.
- Newcrest: defended Newcrest Mining Limited in one of Australia’s largest shareholder class actions regarding disclosures associated with Newcrest’s FY14 gold production guidance.
- Worley: defending Worley in two shareholder class actions brought against it in respect of disclosures around FY14 guidance, culminating in a 5-week trial.