Juliana is a partner with a wealth of dispute experience, with particular expertise in Bet-the-Company disputes and disputes involving complex legal and factual issues.
Juliana has over 30 years of experience in conducting complex disputes and has acted for some of Australia’s leading companies in Bet-the-Company litigation.
A trusted Board adviser and experienced client relationship partner, Juliana has particular expertise in crisis management and working with clients in highly regulated industries.
She has been involved in a number of leading cases at trial, on appeal and in the High Court of Australia. She represents clients in litigation, alternative dispute, anti-money laundering and regulatory processes, including in relation to statutory regimes, regulatory frameworks and complex commercial contracts and associated issues (such as misleading and deceptive conduct), as well as and on matters involving foreign and international law.
Juliana holds a Bachelor of Arts and a Bachelor of Laws from the University of New South Wales. She was Managing Partner of the Sydney office from 2012 - 2020. She took a twelve month leave of absence from the firm in 2021 to take up the position of President of the Law Society of New South Wales and returned in 2022.
She is also a member of the Legal Services Council and Treasurer of the Law Council of Australia.
Juliana is regularly listed in Best Lawyers for Bet-the-Company Litigation and has been noted in Chambers Global, Legal 500 and predecessor publications for over 20 years as a leading practitioner in her fields.
Juliana is recognised as a Star Litigator in Australia by Benchmark Litigation. She is one of only six practitioners in Australia to be recognised in the Top 100 Women in Litigation by Benchmark Litigation Asia-Pacific.
Experience & expertise
- Acted for Tabcorp in the defence of Australia’s first ever significant anti-money laundering prosecution by AUSTRAC
- Acted for the State of Western Australia in proceedings concerning Perth Children’s Hospital
- Acted for a New South Wales government agency in the NSW Floods Inquiry
- Acted for a senior government official in the Robodebt Royal Commission
- Acted for a major aged care provider in the Aged Care Royal Commission
- Acted for ANZ in proceedings brought by the ACCC
- Acted for ANZ in proceedings against the auditors of a retail chain following its collapse as a result of fraud
- Acted for Tabcorp in a series of high profile Federal and High Court proceedings involving constitutional, competition and statutory interpretation issues
- Acted for White Energy in relation to the collapse of a coal infrastructure project in Indonesia
- Acted for auditors defending claims for $5 billion brought by the State of South Australia arising from the collapse of the State Bank of South Australia
- Acted for the State of New South Wales defending claims made by Austeel concerning a failed steel mill project
- Acted for ConocoPhillips in proceedings concerning the legality of the Timor Gap Treaty and related petroleum contracts
- Acted for clients in matters concerning bribery and corruption allegations in South East Asia and the Middle East
- Acted for a number of clients in relation to:
- breaches of anti-money laundering legislation
- actual and potential enforcement proceedings
- current state assessments
- Acted for a number of clients involved in ASIC investigations, ICAC inquiries, ACCC investigations and AUSTRAC investigations