Alex leads the firm’s Emerging Technology Group in the UK, US & EMEA. He specialises in helping businesses in all sectors navigate legal and regulatory challenges when developing, using and investing in advanced technologies including artificial intelligence, the metaverse, blockchain, and digital assets such as crypto and non-fungible tokens (NFTs).
Alex is an experienced technology lawyer and head of Herbert Smith Freehills' Emerging Technology Group in the UK, US & EMEA. He is an advocate of digital change and provides commercially-focused legal advice on advanced technologies across the full spectrum of web3 and artificial intelligence. He advises the full breadth of businesses, from innovative start-ups to trailblazing incumbents, in all sectors including technology, consumer, and financial services.
Alex also co-heads of the firm's Digital Law Group, where he oversees a global team of technology skilled lawyers who drive the digital transformation of law, including through the development and use of cutting edge legal technologies such as smart legal contracts and generative artificial intelligence (GAI).
Alex is an active member of the emerging technology, legal technology, and start-up communities. He sits on the Steering Committee of Global Blockchain Convergence and is a member of the W3C group on rights automation for market data licences.
Experience & expertise
- a global crypto business on developing and launching two innovative cryptoasset bridges to move cryptoassets between leading blockchains
- a leading decentralised-finance (De-Fi) business on launching and marketing an institutional-grade fully encrypted cryptocurrency exchange (FEX)
- an international retail bank on launching its crypto service offering to consumers, including crypto custody and trading arrangements with a leading cryptocurrency exchange
- a major cryptocurrency exchange on establishing its UK services entity
- a global asset management company on a consortium project for the development of a blockchain-based asset management platform, including its piloting of the platform and associated FCA Sandbox arrangements
- a renowned gaming company on developing, marketing and operating a blockchain-based game involving trading of non-fungible tokens (NFTs) in the metaverse
- an international consortium of luxury fashion brands on consumer terms for a new NFT marketplace for fashion items
- a global administrator on its crypto custody and trading arrangements with an institutional crypto custodian in connection with businesses in administration
- a leading asset manager on its first NFT 'drop' and associated competition
- a major global consumer brand on its first NFT 'drop' for certain high-end alcohol products, VIP experiences, and crypto art
- a major energy company on developing and marketing a blockchain-based decentralised autonomous organisation (DAO), including commercial terms with a global crypto exchange and leading technology university
- a consortium of leading technology and digital platform and digital assets companies on establishing the Digital Pound Foundation
- UK Finance on running workshops and drafting a White Paper on fair use of artificial intelligence and advanced analytics in financial services.
- a major global bank on developing an industry-wide digital platform for international syndicated loans
- Google on a project in relation to its Android Pay product