Alastair is ranked among the leading arbitration lawyers in Asia and is one of the region's best-known names in this field.
Alastair has more than 20 years' experience handling major disputes across many sectors and industries, concerning a wide variety of trade, commercial and financial activities, with particular experience of oil, gas and power, construction and engineering, infrastructure and projects, and major foreign investment. He is very familiar with disputes in or concerning the countries of Southeast Asia, as well as international cases outside the region. His clients include governments and public bodies, state-owned and independent companies, international banks, and other multinational and leading regional companies.
Alastair has served numerous times as sole arbitrator, co-arbitrator and presiding arbitrator and has handled many cases as counsel under the rules of the ICC, LCIA, SIAC, HKIAC, KLRCA, SIArb, CIETAC, Thai Arbitration Institute and Indonesian National Arbitration Institute (BANI) as well as UNCITRAL rules and pure ad hoc cases. He is a Fellow of the Singapore Institute of Arbitrators; a national committee member of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators; and a former member of ICC Thailand national arbitration commission.
- Chambers, Asia Pacific 2023: Ranked Band 1, International Arbitration.
- 'Alastair Henderson is particularly active on energy and natural resources, construction and shareholder arbitrations, especially those before SIAC.'
- "Alastair is truly one of the best solicitor arbitration practitioners. He is a first-class advocate, frequently advocating in arbitration against SCs from all over the world."
- "Alastair is one of the guys who developed arbitration in Singapore in a big way."
- "He is commercially and practically astute, and he has a comprehensive knowledge of the law and its use that, in hearings, provides confidence that you are getting the best."
- "He has a thorough grasp of all the key focus areas while still being able to cut to the heart of individual issues. He is able to grasp the key leverage points."
- Asia-Pacific Legal 500 2023: Ranked Hall of Fame, International Arbitration
- An 'exceptional' reputation as a member of Singapore's international arbitration.
- "Partner Alastair Henderson is an exceptional leader. Dynamic and authoritative but also down to earth and approachable. Inspires confidence in clients and provides clarity and direction, based on many years of professional experience in the field. A very able and persuasive advocate in hearings."
He graduated in law from Oxford University and worked for 5 years in London before moving to Asia in 1993. After several years each in Hong Kong and Bangkok, he is now based in Singapore from where he works on cases across the region and beyond as managing partner for Southeast Asia.
Experience & expertise
- an international project company in a US$2bn dispute arising from the EPC construction of Vietnam's largest refinery and petrochemical project, including a massive SIAC arbitration, emergency arbitration proceedings, and related court proceedings in Korea
- an international project company pursuing and defending multiple high-value claims under an EPC contract for development of a gas-fired power project in Indonesia, including issues of delay, variations and major defects
- a national Government agency in Singapore-based arbitration concerning the redevelopment of a national gateway airport terminal and associated infrastructure
- two Pakistan power plant owners in separate arbitrations against the state-owned electricity agency in relation to non-payment for power supplied to the grid and complex related issues under the Power Purchase and Gas Supply Agreements
- an international energy company on the impact of COVID-19 measures on its operation and consequent claim of force majeure under a long-term gas supply and gas transportation agreements in a Southeast Asian state.
- a consortium of international energy companies in Singapore-seated arbitration concerning recovery of additional tax liabilities under the indemnity/stabilisation terms of a Vietnamese Production Sharing Contract
- a leading industrial group in a US$ 350 million arbitration in Singapore arising out of a project to develop a limestone quarry, cement plant and related facilities (including a power plant) in central Myanmar
- a Chinese state-owned entity in arbitration in Singapore arising out of the cancellation of a high-value contract for the purchase of a large electricity distribution network in Turkey
- an Asian state-owned airline in relation to claims and possible defences concerning Covid 19-induced force majeure under a contract for passenger and ticketing services and software