Yanguang specialises in high-value and complex litigations, arbitrations, employment matters and criminal proceedings.
Yanguang represents and advises clients on the resolution of high-value and complex commercial disputes with an emphasis on achieving client satisfaction in the most cost-effective manner. Yanguang is qualified to practise law in Singapore and England and Wales. He has extensive disputes experience, having appeared at all levels of the Singapore Courts, the Singapore International Commercial Court and SIAC / ICC arbitral tribunals seated in London and Singapore. He also has an active employment law and white-collar criminal practice.
Yanguang has broad and substantial experience in disputes spanning energy, cryptocurrencies, construction, professional negligence, asset freezing orders, venture capital and investments, companies and shareholders, bankruptcy, banking and finance and arbitration-related litigation.
Clients and peers have described him as having a "deep knowledge of the law and a tenacious drive to secure the best outcome for his clients" (Legal 500 2023: Dispute Resolution), being a "formidable lawyer" who "delivers results" (Legal 500 2022: Labour & Employment) and as a "rising star in the realm of investigations" (Legal 500 2021: Labour & Employment)."
In employment law, he regularly advises on all aspects including employment agreements, responsible retrenchments, post-termination restrictions, employee terminations and settlements, employment handbooks and investigations into alleged employee wrongdoing.
His practice also covers advising on regulatory investigations relating to anti-money laundering and anti-corruption legislation, and white-collar criminal defence. He also volunteers as counsel with the Legal Assistance Scheme for Capital Offences (LASCO) in Singapore.
Yanguang has an LL.B (Hons) from the National University of Singapore. He is an Advocate and Solicitor of the Supreme Court in Singapore and a Solicitor, England and Wales.
Experience & expertise
- successfully defending a firm of professional engineering consultants in a US$25 million negligence claim in the Singapore Courts over the construction of the mechanical & electrical systems of a data centre
- acting for the owner of an oil & gas terminal in Sharjah, the United Arab Emirates in US$30 million delay and variation claims against the main contractor in an ICC arbitration
- successfully acting for a venture capital growth fund in pursuing US$7.5 million claims against their investee companies in the Singapore Courts
- successfully setting aside an arbitral award in the Singapore Courts over claims for IT security services provided to a world-famous cryptocurrency exchange for breaches of natural justice and arbitral procedure
- successfully prosecuting a US$7 million claim for fraud in the Singapore International Commercial Court over the purchase of an offshore bank for cryptocurrency trading
- co-author of “The Evolution of the Singapore Courts’ Analysis of Whether an Issue is ‘Alive’ in Challenges to Arbitral Awards”  SAL Prac 23