Tony has a track record of helping clients achieve their goals in the most complex and significant transactions. For over 20 years, Tony has assisted clients by providing strategic and practical advice. The Chambers Asia-Pacific Guide has rated Tony for a number of years as one of only a small handful of Band 1 M&A lawyers in Australia, with one client describing him in the 2016 edition as being "the best M&A lawyer in Australia in my experience".
Tony is a global co-chair of the firm’s Banks sector group.
Tony won Dealmaker of the Year at the inaugural 2010 Lawyers Weekly Awards and again at the 2014 Awards. He has been nominated a further seven times for Dealmaker of the Year by Lawyers Weekly and Australasian Legal Business
Tony has been recognised in a number of legal directories. He was voted Best M&A Lawyer (Sydney) by his peers in the 2017 edition of Best Lawyers.
Tony is co-author of Schemes, Takeovers and Himalayan Peaks, a leading book on public company mergers that founded the Ross Parsons Centre monograph series at the University of Sydney. Now in its third edition, the book has been described by the Chief Justice of New South Wales as the “pre-eminent text” in the area. Tony is also the co-editor of Before You Tie the Knot, a major book on joint venture law and also of Towns Under Siege, a major book on contemporary issues in takeovers. He is also a general editor of the Australian Journal of Corporate Law.
Tony’s experience includes advising:
- Broadspectrum on its response to the A$1.3 billion (EV) unsolicited takeover bid by Ferrovial;
- Investa Office Fund on its proposed A$2.5 billion acquisition by DEXUS;
- Goodman Fielder on the A$1.9 billion (EV) scheme with Wilmar and First Pacific;
- Peabody Energy on its successful A$5 billion hostile takeover of Macarthur Coal, the largest hostile joint bid and the largest coal takeover in Australian history;
- Commonwealth Bank on its A$2.1 billion acquisition of BankWest, including the $17 billion of replacement funding
Tony holds a Bachelor of Economics, Bachelor of Laws (Honours) and Master of Laws from the University of Sydney.
He was formerly a tutor in law at St Andrew’s College at the University of Sydney, and continues to lecture in takeovers at the university. He joined Freehills in 1996 and became a partner on 1 January 2003.