Tom is a QC and leading advocate in courts and tribunals at interim, trial and at all appellate levels both in England and Wales and a number of offshore jurisdictions.
Tom advises and appears for clients with commercial disputes, professional negligence, trusts, company and real estate disputes. Clients seek him out for his experience in multi-jurisdictional disputes and offshore jurisdictions, including Bermuda, Gibraltar, Jersey, Guernsey, DIFC and the Isle of Man.
His cases abroad include the long-running Thyssen litigation in Bermuda in which he appeared for the trustees in the Supreme Court of Bermuda both at trial and in the Court of Appeal of the Eastern Caribbean.
Tom has appeared in a number of leading cases including Target v Redferns and Mannai v Eagle Star in the House of Lords and AIG Europe Ltd v OC320301 LLP in the Supreme Court. He is also one of the authors of the leading textbook Flenley & Leech on Solicitors’ Negligence, now in its third edition, and a co-editor of Spencer Bower: Estoppel by Representation.
He is described by clients as "brilliant" and a "forceful and robust advocate," who is a "pleasure to do business with".
Tom has recently appeared for:
- The Midas Claims Groups before Teare J, CA and the Supreme Court in the first authority on aggregation under the Solicitors Minimum Terms and Conditions: AIG Europe Ltd v OC320301 Ltd (2016)
- the US Department of Justice at first instance and in CA on the scope of freezing injunctions under the Civil Jurisdiction and Judgments Act: Blue Holdings (1) Pte Ltd v United States of America (2015)
- Deyaar PJSC in the DIFC Court of First Instance and CA in the long-running dispute over the high profile Sky Gardens development (2016)
- Les Fils De Madame Geraud in a complex fraud trial in the Chancery Division against its former UK managing director (2016)
- For the successful claimant in arbitration proceedings in Israel and on appeal to the Commercial Court in claims to recover trust assets (2016)
Tom joined Herbert Smith Freehills’ Global Advocacy Group after more than 20 years as a barrister at Maitland Chambers, a leading set of Commercial Chancery Chambers.