Tom has a wide experience of commercial disputes of varying sizes and types, including large scale High Court litigation and mediation. Many of the cases on which he has worked have been international in nature and Tom has advised in relation to proceedings in a number of different jurisdictions. Tom’s' expertise includes, banking disputes, commercial contract disputes, shareholder disputes, pharmaceutical and healthcare disputes, claims for breach of directors' duties, and cases involving fraud and insolvency.
- RBS Group and four former directors in defending actions brought by shareholder and investor groups in connection with the Group's 2008 Rights Issue. The claimant groups comprised approximately 36,000 investors, seeking compensation of around £4 billion
- an entrepreneur and businessman, Philip Noble, in successfully defending multi-million pound claims in deceit and for breach of contract and fiduciary duty by former partners in relation to the demerger of the Noble Organisation, a national leisure empire, following a 7 week High Court trial
- Nortel Networks UK (in administration) and 18 other European Nortel companies in relation to the fall-out of the global insolvency and sale of the Nortel group. This has involved proceedings in the English, US and Canadian courts
- a speciality pharmaceutical company in various matters including Belgian proceedings seeking damages arising from a delayed clinical trial and consequent impact on the ability to launch a new drug product in the USA and breach of warranty claims following the acquisition of a European specialty pharma
- a property investor and businessman, Patrick McKillen in seeking relief for unfair prejudice under section 994 Companies Act 2006 and for damages in tort for conspiracy to cause loss by unlawful means against various parties, including Sir David and Sir Frederick Barclay, before the High Court and Court of Appeal. The dispute centred on high profile attempts to obtain control of three of London’s leading hotels – Claridge’s, The Connaught and The Berkeley
Tom has an LLB from the University of Durham and is a qualified Solicitor Advocate.