Tim has been a partner in the Corporate group for over 10 years.
Tim has particular expertise in matters involving equity capital markets, mergers and acquisitions and managed funds. He has transaction experience advising on matters involving companies and managed investment schemes for issuers and for all of Australia’s major underwriters and lead managers.
Acclaimed as a ‘leader in his field’ by Chambers Global where he is described as ‘the kind of lawyer I go to with complicated problems – he always comes up with creative and original solutions’, Tim is also listed as a leading individual for capital markets in the Asia Pacific Legal 500. He has been recognised by Best Lawyers as one of Australia’s best equity capital markets lawyers for five years running (and was named Best Lawyers' 2013 Melbourne Equity Capital Markets Lawyer of the Year), and as one of the best funds management lawyers in 2012 to 2015.
Tim has acted on initial public offerings, secondary capital raisings (including entitlement offers using accelerated structures and low-doc offers); hybrid security offers; warrant and structured product offers; schemes of arrangement for companies and managed investment schemes; takeovers; and negotiated acquisitions and disposals.
Tim has advised:
- Acting for Myer Family Investments in relation to the proposed merger of The Myer Family Company and Mutual Trust
- Acting for Click Energy on its $120 million sale to amaysim Australia Limited
- Santos’ $1 billion placement and up to $500 million share purchase plan
- Inghams Group Limited’s $1.2 billion IPO
- MMG Limited’s USD500 million Australian and Hong Kong rights issue
- MMG Limited’s ASX listing as a Foreign Exempt Listing
- Santos’ A$2.5 billion fully underwritten pro rata accelerated entitlement offer including retail rights trading and A$500 million placement to Hony Capital
- Treasury Wine Estates’ A$486 million pro rata accelerated entitlement offer including retail rights trading
- Murray Goulburn’s complex capital restructure, A$500 million capital raising and the listing of the MG Unit Trust on ASX
- Healthscope Limited’s A$3.6 billion IPO
- Virgin Australia Holdings Limited’s A$350 million accelerated rights issue and associated successful Takeovers Panel defence of the rights issue
- Healthscope’s A$305 million offer of ASX listed retail notes (Healthscope Notes 2) and Healthscope’s A$215 million offer of listed retail notes (Healthscope Notes 1)
Tim graduated from the University of Melbourne in 1995 with a Bachelor of Laws (Honours) and a Bachelor of Commerce and joined Herbert Smith Freehills in 1996.
Tim lectures at the University of Melbourne in Mergers, Acquisitions and Capital Markets.