Tim specialises in aviation finance and leasing. His experience includes advising clients on commercial and ECA-backed financings, operating leases, PDP financings, tax-driven structures (such as JOLCOs) and restructurings. Tim also has experience advising on the sale and purchase of aircraft.
Tim has spent time on secondment with CIT Aerospace International (subsequently acquired by Avolon), a major operating lessor in Dublin. Tim is recognised as a key lawyer in Legal 500 (Transport Finance and Leasing).
Tim's experience includes advising:
- easyJet on the landmark UKEF-backed $1.87bn term loan facility provided by a syndicate of 10 banks and secured by an initial portfolio of 49 A320 aircraft
- Aergo Capital on the Islamic limited recourse financing of one A350-900 aircraft and one B787-10 aircraft with Dubai Islamic Bank in conjunction with a sale and leaseback to Singapore Airlines (this transaction won Airline Economics Middle East & Africa Editor’s Deal of the Year)
- Bain Capital on the acquisition by Titan Aircraft Investments I, Ltd, a joint venture between Bain Capital and Titan Aviation Holdings (an affiliate of Atlas Air), of one B777F aircraft and the leasing of the aircraft to Southern Air
- TAP Air Portugal on a €137 million long term financing placed with institutional investors and underwritten by Macquarie
- Virgin Atlantic on the aviation finance aspects of the acquisition of Flybe by the Connect Airways consortium
- Credit Agricole CIB and Sumitomo Mitsui Trust Bank on a JOLCO financing for AerCap*
- European ECAs and commercial lenders on ECA-backed financings of Airbus aircraft for borrowers including an Indian airline and a Chinese operating lessor*
- Operating lessor on a PDP financing of two Airbus aircraft for a Portuguese airline, in conjunction with a sale and leaseback of those aircraft*
- Arranger and investors on the first-in-kind bond issuance by Virgin Atlantic secured by a portfolio of take-off and landing slots at London Heathrow Airport (this transaction won Airfinance Journal Capital Markets Deal of the Year)*
* Experience prior to joining Herbert Smith Freehills