Based in London, Tim has over 20 years' experience working on construction and engineering projects, domestically and internationally, across the real estate, energy and infrastructure sectors. He typically advises clients of the construction industry, often on high-value, large-scale or complex projects.
Tim provides strategic advice and risk analysis and helps clients with a wide variety of construction procurement arrangements, including traditional, design and construct, turnkey, management and collaborative contracting. He works with clients on a wide range of contracts including professional appointments, building contracts, EPC/EPCM/EPIC contracts, FEED and early works agreements, framework/call-off arrangements, supply-only contracts, O&M contracts and LTSAs.
Clients benefit directly from Tim's specialist construction and engineering experience and up-to-the minute market knowledge. He focuses on understanding each client's key commercial requirements in order to help them to select the right strategy, strike the right balance between risk allocation and pricing, and record in contract documents the agreed positions with absolute clarity.
Tim understands the importance of effective project management of legal services, ensuring the pieces fit together and nothing falls between the cracks. His involvement with major projects means he is used to working in cross-functional teams and interfacing and co-ordinating with members across all levels.
Tim's expertise is highlighted by listings in Chambers UK and Legal 500 UK. Chambers UK describes his "strong grasp of construction-related legal matters and his creativity in problem solving during contract negotiations", whilst Legal 500 UK notes his "strategic procurement and negotiation advice on a number of projects".
Tim's experience includes advising:
- HB Reavis on the large-scale construction management redevelopment of One Waterloo to comprise 1.2m square feet of workspace, retail space and public realm connected to Waterloo Station, London
- CPP Investments on its joint venture and contracting arrangements with Lendlease for the phased development of office schemes at The International Quarter, London
- Goldman Sachs on the development and construction arrangements for its acquisition of BTR from Countryside and Urban & Civic
- the Francis Crick Institute on the two-stage public procurement of its biomedical research and innovation facility in London
- Ocado on a number of contracts for the procurement of technology, plant and equipment for warehousing and automated distribution systems
- Copenhagen Infrastructure Partners on the EPC contracts and O&M agreements for its fleet of biomass-fired generation plants and energy from waste facilities in the UK, and on its proposed green ammonia production facility (including 1GW electrolysis) in Denmark
- Cero Generation (part of Macquarie's Green Investment Group) on model form EPC and O&M contracts for its EMEA solar portfolio, and on project implementation in Italy, Spain and the UK
- Trafigura on the EPC contract, service and availability agreement and battery reservation and warranty documentation for its new battery energy storage system to be connected to the Belgium national power grid
- Plastic Energy, in joint venture with SABIC, on strategic procurement aspects of its first commercial end-of-life plastics advanced recycling unit, located in the Netherlands, and on the EPCM contract, equipment supply contracts and civil works contract
- VPI Immingham on technology and construction procurement aspects of the Humber Net Zero decarbonisation project, UK
- NNB Generation on the construction and engineering aspects of EDF's new nuclear development programme in the UK.
- Nord Stream 2 on the construction and engineering procurement strategy and multiple onshore and offshore contracts for the twin gas pipeline mega-project between the Russian Federation and Germany.
Tim was admitted as a Solicitor of the Supreme Court of England and Wales in 2002 and holds a BA in Jurisprudence (honours status) from Oxford University (Oriel College).