Tim is an associate practicing at Herbert Smith Freehills' dispute resolution department in Hong Kong. Tim is qualified both as a solicitor of Hong Kong and an attorney of the State of New York and has experience representing clients in a wide range of Hong Kong litigation, international arbitration and contentious regulatory matters.
Tim's experience includes:
- acting for institutional investors of an automotive start-up company in a dispute arising from proposed redemption of preference shares, and advising on related insolvency proceedings in Cayman Islands
- advising a PRC asset management fund on a potential dispute arising out of its subscription of certain convertible bonds, and potential winding up proceedings
- representing a PRC-headquartered global commodity conglomerate in an ICC arbitration regarding a dispute arising from its joint venture investment in the Democratic Republic of Congo
- conducting anti-bribery internal investigations (including investigations under U.S. Foreign Corruption Practices Act) on behalf of a Fortune-500 pharmaceutical company
- *representing a PRC real estate developer in parallel HKIAC and CIETAC arbitration proceedings against a U.S. private equity fund in relation to a dispute arising from their joint venture investment in Mainland China
- *representing a PRC-headquartered global commodity conglomerate in a HKIAC arbitration regarding a dispute arising from its investments in the U.S. and the U.K.
- *representing a leading Taiwan-headquartered food and beverage corporation in an ICC arbitration regarding a dispute arising from the employment contract with a former senior employee
- *representing a PRC real estate developer in a CIETAC arbitration arising from a M&A dispute (case conducted entirely in Putonghua)
- *representing two PRC financial firms in a HKIAC proceedings arising from a dispute in its investment in a semi-conductor company. The arbitration involves the unique element of PRC criminal law
- *representing a HKEx-listed company in resisting a winding up petition
- *representing a real estate investment company (with substantial real estate investment portfolio in Mainland) in resisting a winding up petition and the company's directors in related High Court action
- *representing an investment firm in Hong Kong court proceedings against a high-net-worth businessman in Mainland China arising from the failure of two investment funds to repay capital and fixed return
- *representing various HKEx-listed companies in investigations by both the Securities and Futures Commission and the Enforcement Department of the HKEx
- *representing a HKEx-listed company in its trading resumption application under section 8 of the Securities and Futures (Stock Market Listing) Rules
*Work performed by Tim prior to joining the firm
Tim holds a Bachelor of Laws and a Postgraduate Certificate in Laws from the University of Hong Kong. Tim is a native Mandarin speaker and can speak fluent English and Cantonese.