Tilmann is a senior associate in our dispute resolution practice based in Frankfurt. He advises and represents clients in all types of commercial disputes, ranging from the energy sector to post-M&A disputes, license and joint-venture agreements to disputes in the banking and insurance sector.
Tilmann is experienced in commercial litigation before the German courts and international commercial arbitration, predominantly under the auspices of the DIS, the ICC and the CIETAC.
Tilmann's experience includes:
General Commercial Litigation
- advising various financial investors in relation to shareholder model case proceedings in Germany
- representing and advising an international chemicals manufacturer in various controversies with suppliers, manufacturers and distributors
- representing an energy multinational in an over €3 billion litigation about interests in proceeds stemming from extracting natural resources in Eastern Europe
Arbitration and arbitration related proceedings
- sitting as co-arbitrator in a shareholder dispute governed by the DIS Supplementary Rules for Corporate Law Disputes
- advising a leading international industrial company in a DIS-arbitration over the engineering and construction of a power plant in Latin America and in ensuing enforcement proceedings in Germany
- representing a leading European logistics company in a post-merger dispute under the DIS rules
Financial services litigation
- representing a Portuguese municipality in a litigation concerning the termination of a EUR 75 million loan
- representing a German bank in a dispute with a municipal company regarding a €295 million CDO portfolio swap transaction
Author, "Erste Erfahrungen mit der europäischen Kontenpfändungsverordnung – Sorgfältige Planung und Geduld erforderlich", Die Bank, Zeitschrift für Bankpolitik und Praxis, March 2018
Author, "The DIS Rules of Arbitration of 2018", Kluwer Arbitration Blog, February 2018
Author, "Chancen nutzen, Risiken minimieren", Die Bank, Zeitschrift für Bankpolitik und Praxis, January 2017
- "Financial Services Litigation - Germany" in: Getting the Deal Through, Law Business Research, 2017
Prior to joining Herbert Smith Freehills, Tilmann worked in the dispute resolution practice of an international law firm in Frankfurt, where he mainly focused on international commercial arbitration and also in the dispute resolution practice of an international law firm in Hamburg.