Hans Thomas advises investment companies, investment funds, asset managers and institutional real estate investors, project developers and family offices as well as financial institutions and companies in other sectors in the acquisition, development, construction and financing of commercial and residential real estate in Germany and internationally.
In addition, Hans Thomas Kessler has experience in advising and representing construction and engineering companies as well as sponsors and employers in the context of construction, planning and infrastructure projects in Germany and abroad.
Hans Thomas' experience includes advising:
- Qatar Investment Authority (QIA) on its investment into Taunusturm, a high-rise building in the centre of the Frankfurt banking district
- Cording Real Estate on the acquisition of a real estate portfolio comprising of ten properties; advisory for purchase, joint venture, investment structuring and financing (Transaction volume approx. € 140 million)
- ARDIAN Germany on acquisition and purchase financing of the office complex "Wappenhalle" in Munich-Riem consisting of nine properties (transaction volume approx. € 85 million)
- Canada Pension Plan Investment Board (CPPIB) on a strategic joint venture with Unibail-Rodamco regarding the indirect acquisition of a 46.1% interest in mfi AG, the second largest German Shopping Center Operator
- Amundi Immobilier on the acquisition of the Aqua Portfolio comprising 17 office properties in six Western European countries (€1 billion)
- "good guy, dealmaker", competitor – JUVE 2017/2018
- "One of Germanys leading lawyers" – Best Lawyers 2017/2018
- "Outstanding", competitor – JUVE 2016/2017
- "Who has him at the table, has a deal at the end" – Chambers Global 2014
Prior to joining Herbert Smith Freehills, Hans Thomas Kessler worked for several leading international law firms, most recently as Equity Partner with Beiten Burkhardt and then SJ Berwin, where he led the firm's international real estate practice. He studied law and political science at the Universities of Frankfurt am Main, Lausanne, Geneva and Strasbourg.
Mr. Kessler acquired the LL.M. at the London School of Economics and Political Science and was a visiting scholar at Georgetown University in Washington D.C.