Thea acts for clients on a wide variety of commercial disputes, before both domestic courts and international tribunals. She has particular experience in the energy sector, and regularly advises industry participants on complex questions of contractual interpretation, as well as in relation to contentious matters.
A fluent speaker of French and Italian, Thea has a particular interest in multi-jurisdictional disputes, and has acted in several commercial arbitrations in major international centres involving a wide range of governing laws.
Thea’s recent experience includes advising:
- a global oil and gas company in a New York-seated, ICDR arbitration relating to the operation of quantity provisions in a long-term sale and purchase agreement
- an Indonesian coal mining licence holder in a Singapore-seated, SIAC arbitration relating to agreements for the production and sale of metallurgical and thermal coal
- an ASX-listed mining company in Supreme Court proceedings relating to alleged breaches of contract, misleading or deceptive conduct and tortious conspiracy
- a seller defending a claim in relation to the non-delivery of LNG cargoes under a mid-term sale and purchase agreement
- an international energy company in connection with a gas price review
Thea holds a Bachelor of Philosophy with first class Honours, and a Juris Doctor, both from the University of Western Australia. She was awarded the J.A. Wood Memorial Prize for the University’s most outstanding humanities graduate, and is the recipient of numerous subject prizes, including for evidence, corporations law, administrative law, consumer law, family law and succession.