Based in Hong Kong, Tess assists clients with all manner of employment issues with particular expertise in providing strategic advice on multi-jurisdictional compliance and restructuring projects in the Asia Pacific region and managing employee grievances and terminations.
Tess works with clients in banking, financial and professional services, technology, FMCG, retail and pharmaceuticals. She is focused on delivering practical, innovative and commercial outcomes and developing strong relationships with her clients.
Tess works with clients to develop employment contracts, policies, incentive schemes and work rules and advising on effective workforce management strategy. She also helps clients manage compliance risks including in relation to employee entitlements, contingent workers, assignments and data protection.
Through undertaking secondments with a multinational banking and financial services company with employees across APAC and a top 15 ASX-listed organisation, Tess has gained valuable insights into the commercial and operational drivers of large corporations which she applies to her practice.
Tess, who was previously based in Sydney, has acted in some of the most significant discrimination litigation in the Federal Court of Australia and has worked with clients in matters in the Supreme Court of New South Wales and the industrial and human rights tribunals.
Tess regularly conducts workplace investigations and has appeared for clients in mediations and conciliations. She is an accomplished presenter and trainer, regularly providing training seminars to clients and other members of the profession.
Tess's experience includes:
- project managing and providing strategic advice to a global bank in relation to a restructure project impacting 11 jurisdictions in Asia Pacific including the exit from several markets
- advising an Australian bank on data protection and recruitment practices in Singapore, Hong Kong, Thailand, PRC and Vietnam
- conducting an investigation for a global investment management firm into allegations of misconduct by a regional managing director
- conducting a compliance review of employment contracts, work rules and company policies across several Asian jurisdictions for a professional services firm
- advising a global manufacturing company on divestments in Singapore, Malaysia, Hong Kong, South Korea, Taiwan, PRC and India including in respect of employee transfers, executive incentives and redundancies
Tess has a Bachelor of Laws and Bachelor of Arts in International Studies from the University of Technology, Sydney. She has lived in Australia, the UK, Chile and Singapore.
Tess is admitted as a Solicitor in the Supreme Court of New South Wales and the High Court and Federal Court of Australia.