Tomás heads the real estate practice in the Madrid office.
He has extensive and wide-ranging experience advising clients in corporate real estate matters, such as acquisition, disposal and financing of real estate assets (shopping centres and large retail areas, office buildings, logistic platforms, hotels, resorts, build-to-rent, build-to-sell, healthcare, senior living, student housing, co-living, outdoor living, data centres, agribusiness, large portfolios of assets and REOs, etc.) and companies operating in the real estate sector, primarily focused on private equity funds, sovereign wealth funds and the industrial and banking sectors (forward purchase and forward funding agreements, sale and lease back deals, major leasing, hotel management and hotel lease agreements, etc.).
In addition, Tomás is experienced in advising on large construction and development schemes (including contracts based on FIDIC principles) and asset and property management advise during the whole holding period of a real estate asset.
His expertise is highlighted in Chambers & Partners and Legal 500 for real estate since 2016.
"Tomás Díaz is very responsive, experienced and knowledgeable. He is good at unlocking situations and has a commercial angle.", Chambers Europe 2023 – Spain (Real estate)
Sources say that Tomás Díaz Mielenhausen of Herbert Smith Freehills "takes the time to understand his client's needs and business priorities." "He is an experienced, pragmatic individual who brings strong negotiation skills to the table," remarks another impressed client, Chambers Europe 2022 – Spain (Real estate)
He has a law degree by the Universidad de Granada (Spain). He also has a master's degree in Business Law (LLM) by the Instituto de Empresa (IE) (Spain) and a master's degree in Town Planning by Centro de Estudios Garrigues (Spain). He speaks Spanish, English and German. He is a member of the Ilustre Colegio de la Abogacía de Madrid (ICAM – Madrid Bar Association).
Experience & expertise
- P3 Logistic Parks on i) the acquisition of a €108 million portfolio of logistic assets located in different cities in Spain from KKR, Pulsar and RoundHill; (ii) the acquisition of a €243 million portfolio of logistic assets located in different cities in Spain from GreenOak; (iii) the acquisition of plots in Illescas (Toledo) and Onda (Castellón) and the development of XXL logistic warehouses and their subsequent lease to a major online retailer; (iv) the acquisition of a plot in Illescas (Toledo) and the development of a logistic warehouse for its subsequent lease to Airbus; (v) the forward funding acquisition of a logistic warehouse located in the Basque Country; (vi) the forward purchase of two logistic warehouses located in Valencia and (vii) the listing of its Socimi (REIT) at the Spanish Alternative Stock Exchange
- Costco Wholesale Corporation on all the aspects of its business in Spain, including the acquisition of sites and development of large retail areas (including gas stations)
- LCN Capital Partners on (i) the €185 million sale and leaseback acquisition of 27 free-standing supermarkets from Mercadona, mainly located in Madrid, Andalucía and Catalonia and (ii) the €31 million sale and leaseback acquisition of an office and industrial building located on the outskirts of Madrid
- Clarion Partners Europe on (i) the acquisition of a portfolio of logistics warehouses located in the industrial hub of Corredor del Henares, between Madrid and Guadalajara (Spain) from Prologis; (ii) the acquisition of a portfolio of logistics warehouses located in Azuqueca de Henares, Getafe and Zaragoza (Spain), from Merlin Properties; (iii) the acquisition of 100% of the shares held by CBRE Global Investors of a portfolio of logistic warehouses located in the industrial hub of Corredor del Henares, between Madrid and Guadalajara (Spain); (iv) the acquisition of a number of logistics warehouses located in Yeles (Toledo) and Constantí (Tarragona); (v) the acquisition of a number of land plots across Spain for the development of logistic warehouses and (vi) the acquisition of two sites in Cataluña for the subsequent development of two logistic warehouses
- Único Hotels on the €93 million sale and leaseback of the five-star Grand Hotel Barcelona
- Perial Asset Management on (i) the acquisition of a portfolio comprising two real estate assets for student housing use located in Granada (Spain); (ii) the acquisition of a nine-hotel portfolio in Spain leased to B&B Hotels, from Corum Asset Management; (iii) the acquisition of the five star "Dolce Sitges Hotel", from Angelo Gordon; (iv)the forward purchase acquisition of an office building in downtown Madrid, from Azora and (v) the acquisition of an office building in the @22 area in Barcelona, from Patrizia