Susan specialises in EU and UK competition law, advising clients on merger control issues arising from major merger and joint ventures, strategic matters (including compliance) and high profile competition investigations. Susan has expertise across a spectrum of industries including consumer, leisure, transport, pharmaceuticals and financial services. She also co-heads the firm's Consumer Products sector.
Susan was a co-founder of the firm's Women Lawyers Network and has been a driving force behind the firm's diversity initiatives.
In 2014 she was recognised as a Top 50 Business Leader in Timewise's Power Part Time list.
Susan has also been recognised for her expertise in a number of leading legal guides.
Clients say: "She understands our market very well and gives astute advice within a short timeframe" (Chambers UK 2015) and Susan is praised for her approach, with market observers commenting that "she argues her corner very well" and "gives straight advice" to "let you know where you stand." (Chambers UK 2014). In addition, Susan is acknowledged as being “very responsive” and “good at getting non-lawyers to understand legal issues” (UK Legal 500 2014).
Susan's experience includes advising:
- AbbVie on the competition law aspects of its aborted FTSE 100 pharmaceutical company Shire plc, (which would have been the largest ever inward investment into the UK)
- Arriva on the CMA's phase 2 investigation of its acquisition of the Northern Rail franchsise, its acquisition of Centrebus Holdings and the Competition Commission's industry investigation into local buses
- Gala Coral in relation to the Competition Commission's conditional merger approval of the proposed saled of Gala Casinos to Rank Plc
- Hammerson in relation to EU clearances of a number of joint ventures. Also its application for UK merger clearance of its acquisition of Grand Central
- a leading investment bank on the European Commission's investigation into alleged fixing of The Euro Interbank Offered Rate (Euribor) and investigations into alleged foreign exchange rate manipulation