Stewart has assisted clients on various aspects of competition law, including in relation to merger control, cartel and other prohibited practices and involving both litigious and advisory work. He has also assisted in competition compliance audits and training. Although primarily focussed on South Africa, Stewart has worked on a range of matters involving merger control and anti-competitive practices across other southern African jurisdictions as well.
Stewart's recent experience includes having:
- advised a client in the mining services sector in anticipation of a hostile takeover of a large listed company and in preparing the various African merger filings submitted;*
- acted for a client in challenging a dawn raid that was conducted on its offices in Namibia;*
- acted for a client in its request for consideration of a decision to prohibit an intermediate merger;*
- acted for clients cited as respondents in various cartel investigations, including in the automotive sector;* and
- advised various clients, including private equity funds, on a range of merger control and related matters, as well as preparing and securing various merger clearances.*
*Experience prior to joining HSF in June 2018
Stewart is an admitted attorney of the High Court of South Africa. He holds a Business Science degree specialising in Economics and Law (with distinction) and a Bachelor of Laws (magna cum laude), both from the University of Cape Town.