Steve specialises in intellectual property litigation and dispute resolution, with particular expertise in patent disputes in the pharmaceutical, life sciences and consumer electronics fields.
Steve has experience with both litigious and corporate aspects of intellectual property, which he combines with his science background in providing strategic and commercial advice to clients about intellectual property, and working with experts across a variety of disciplines. This experience includes interlocutory disputes, preparation of expert evidence, trial and appeal proceedings, settlement negotiations, and drafting and advising on IP licensing, assignment and commercialisation agreements.
Steve’s areas of practice cover across all forms of intellectual property including copyright, patents, trade marks, passing off, consumer law, breach of confidence and general contractual disputes. His expertise extends to acting for major national and international clients in a range of industries, including in significant multi-jurisdictional litigation.
Steve has been the lead senior associate on a number of matters that have gone to trial and on appeal. His experience includes:
- acting for Apple in its tablet and smartphone patent litigation with Samsung in Australia, including in Apple’s interlocutory injunction application against Samsung’s Galaxy Tab 10.1 device (and subsequent appeals)
- acting for a global telecommunications equipment company in Federal Court litigation involving allegations of patent and copyright infringement
- acting for Treasury Wines in a trade mark infringement dispute concerning trade marks for the Penfolds brand of wine
- acting for Apotex in complex patent litigation relating to the generic launch of drugs including Tadalafil, Perindopril, Aripiprazole and Leflunomide
- acting for a major Australian hardware retailer and related parties in defending an interlocutory injunction application in relation to alleged unauthorised access to competitor confidential information and copyright material
Steve has a combined Science (majoring in biotechnology) and Law Degree (Honours Class 1 and University Medal) from the University of New South Wales. Steve has also completed a Masters of Laws at the University of Melbourne.