Stephen’s practice includes both commercial litigation (with a particular focus on competition disputes) and corporate criminal issues, especially regarding bribery, corruption and anti-money laundering.
Stephen regularly advises multinational companies across a variety of sectors, providing clear legal advice and recommending strategic decisions in civil proceedings and criminal proceedings and investigations.
Stephen’s broad experience includes advising major clients such as:
- a European commercial vehicle manufacturer in follow-on damages claim proceedings arising from a European Commission competition law infringement finding
- a global investment bank in Federal Court litigation arising from a PPP motorway development project
- an Australian wagering company in anti-money laundering and counter-terrorism financing proceedings brought by the Australian Transaction Reports and Analysis Centre (AUSTRAC)
- an Australian bank in anti-money laundering and counter-terrorism financing proceedings brought by AUSTRAC
- an Australian wagering company in successful merger authorisation proceedings before the Australian Competition Tribunal.
Stephen holds a Bachelor of Arts and a Bachelor of Laws (First Class Honours) degree from the University of Otago, New Zealand. He served as Tipstaff to the Hon Justice Slattery in the Supreme Court of New South Wales. He is admitted to practise as a solicitor in NSW, Australia, and as a barrister and solicitor in the High Court of New Zealand. He currently practises in London, on secondment from the firm's Sydney office