Stephen has expertise in private negotiated transactions and commercial contracts.
Stephen regularly advises clients on significant joint ventures and strategic alliances; schemes of arrangement, takeovers and other public control transactions; and regulatory compliance. He has extensive experience in public mergers and acquisitions, public and private equity, debt and hybrid offerings.
Stephen’s clients include leading industrials, listed companies, investment banks and private equity funds, in Australia and overseas.
- Boral Limited on its US$1.6 billion plasterboard joint venture with USG Corporation
- Boral Limited on its proposed joint venture with CSR to combine their respective brick operations on the east coast of Australia
- GenesisCare on KKR’s acquisition of a significant equity stake in the company (as well as separately acting for GenesisCare on a range of individual medical practice acquisitions and other strategic transactions)
- GenesisCare on its major 2009 restructure and recapitalisation, and the associated buy-out of its former majority shareholder
- Todd Corporation on its cornerstone investment in Wolf Minerals and associated further equity investment
Stephen holds a first-class honours degree in law from the University of Oxford and is admitted as a solicitor in New South Wales, Victoria, and England and Wales.
For several years, he has chaired Freehills’ Commercial Panel, which, among other things, is responsible for settling the firm’s ‘house view’ on contentious areas of law and practice.